Bagheera isn’t feeling well.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by micstrachan, Apr 7, 2018.

1. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

2A09E6B6-3779-4317-AC64-4F7A4AB4D249.jpeg E5992DF8-0A9B-4893-B46A-DFCAD3B14858.jpeg 4A6847B4-9B39-4A45-9E24-C65CDACC07AF.jpeg IBagheera is my two-year-old Australorp hen. Yesterday when I came home from work, I let the girls run around in the rain… They don’t mind that. Couple of them like to hide under the vehicle. But, Bagheera stayed under the vehicle almost the whole time. That’s not really like her. She did eventually come out, but she seemed to be moving slightly slower than her normal self. This morning, she’s also just a little slow. There’s nothing super obvious, she just seems slightly off, and her comb isn’t quite as bright red as normal. Usually hers is the darkest red. Here are two photos of her poop just now and her stance. Poop looks like she’s not eating enough maybe? Keep in mind, she is two years old and has never molted, so her feathers look pretty ratty compared to all my other pretty, fluffy girls. She is one of my top hens. Thoughts? Give it another day? Wondering if she is finally molting, but I don’t see feathers anywhere. She does tend to eat them. I’m in the run with them now. I haven’t let them run around yet, because I wanted to observe her for a bit. I also like them to eat some of their complete feed before I let them forage. She does tend to like to eat grass, so I check her crop often. It seems to be functioning fine. I’m slightly concerned she can have a blockage further down?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  2. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Well, she’s acting normal out foraging. I’ll keep a close watch. I need to pick up fresh feed today and will grab more granite grit, too. Anything else I should grab while I’m at the feed store?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The grit is a good idea. I have a 50 pound bag that lasts a long time, but I forget to put it out sometimes. I have had a couple of crop problems lately, and I can’t figure that out.

I agree that with her poop, it looks like a lot of urates perhaps from not drinking enough. I will make a pan of really watery chicken feed when I want them to drink more. If she doesn’t accept some cooked egg, then I would get worried.

I have necropsies a couple of hens that had complete blockage of their gizzards. Even with food and water inside and outside, grit, they were eating fibrous junk from trees and dried grass.

A few days of Poultry Cell or NutriDrench may help perk her up. If she is starting her molt, that would explain the poor appetite and malaise. Hope she gets better.

micstrachan likes this.
  4. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Thank you @Eggcessive . I did serve them a big batch of scrambled eggs last night to ensure she didn’t go to bed hungry and she ate. Saw her eat a little crumble before I let them out, too. I have both Nutridrench and Rooster Booster on hand and will provide that. Is one better? Should I offer free choice and leave out plain water, too? I keep five waterers out for them. Might seem like a lot for a flock of nine, but the pecking order can interfere with everyone getting their share of feed, so I scatter little dishes of feed everywhere. I figured extra water containers might be good, too.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I do the same with food and water, and have about 23 left. Poultry Cell is only different in that it has riboflavin (B2) where NutriDrench does not. So I would use PC especially when there is a leg or foot problem.

You have really been a great help here on BYC, and the emergency forum. Just wanted to let you know.

micstrachan likes this.
  6. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

BB52AFEA-8193-40DA-BEAA-F57485688E22.jpeg Hmmm... now this just came out of Cashew, my Buff Orp, who seems totally fine otherwise. They tend to feel a little lousy and have wet poops when it rains. Maybe that’s all it is? Thankfully the sun is coming out now. The girls are loving it!

7. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Aw, thanks. I try to help and share what I’ve learned without pretending to have expertise I don’t actually have. Someday I hope to be a true guru like you, but would prefer not to have to go through some tough losses to get there. I know there will be some, but trying to do all I can for my flock. Thank YOU for all your support. I love this collaborative place and think it’s only right I try do do my part when I can.

Eggcessive likes this.
  8. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

C30E2864-BCB2-4A5D-B0E5-CA4F345672A6.jpeg 7F621D50-B035-46FB-9224-686983AB10DA.jpeg Update on Bagheera. She’s acting pretty normal. Laid an egg and squatted for me. Comb still looks a bit pale. She’s growling a bit. Maybe she’s been broody this week while I was at work and didn’t feed herself properly? Today I washed all the waterers and added fresh rooster booster. I also threw out any feed I had left and cleaned the feeders. I picked up new feed, which is a bit of an ordeal since they accidentally gave me the wrong bag with an old mill date so I had to go back and replace it. So feed, water, oyster shell, and grit are all nice and fresh in clean containers. I already keep the coop pretty clean. I do need to turn the bedding in the pen since the rain this week. Still keeping a close watch. Millie (Speckled Sussex) wasn’t feeling that great this morning, either, but seems better now. Can you see in these photos how her comb isn’t as red as her flock mates? These are my remaining three from my original four.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: