Bah! I already built my henhouse...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JenO, Aug 26, 2010.

1. JenO

JenO Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Newberg, OR
    I liked the idea of a truck topper tractor so much I went and surfed to see if there were any in my area. I came across a posting for free 4', 6' or 8' wooden crates for free! They look like the perfect framework for a coop, just need to add doors, a roof and ventilation. I'm slightly tempted anyway since I just found out our city actually allows six chickens, I've only got 4. (with my hen house 3.5x4) Wonder if I could fit one in my minvan with just one set of seats out...

Here's the link if anyone lives in the Portland, OR area.
  2. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Oh yes that is a great find! I would get it. You know how chicken math goes!
  3. UrbanChick101

UrbanChick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    WoW!! What a great box... Potential Coops!!! I think you need to get them ~ take all of the seats out of your van... I can take out my captains chairs, fold down my backseat and fit a full bed/bedframe/frame all in the back, I am sure you could try and squeeze atleast a 6' box in there... Think of the eggs you could get yourself!!!! Awesome Find!!!
  4. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Those are AWESOME You could make a million and one things from those. And they're FREE! What are you waiting for???
  5. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    I'd get them in a heartbeat if I were closer. I found 4x4x8 shipping crates, got 2, and am turning them into coops now!
  6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    My Coop
    You could even connect two or three together! Imagine how many more chickens you could get! [​IMG] They definitely look interesting. Why not check 'em out? Let us know what you do.
  7. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
  8. JenO

JenO Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Newberg, OR
    I've got two kids, I can't quite sacrifice the other two seats since I don't have a sitter for them lined up or anything. But maybe they would have them for weekend pick up.... I'll call tomorrow, and see if I can't convince Hubby what a good idea it would be. Heck, an 8 ft one on it's side might make a nice little shed. [​IMG]
  9. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I would like to see pics if you do it! Good luck.
  10. JenO

JenO Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Newberg, OR
    Well I totally forgot about it this morning, and went to run errands and didn't get home til after 2. So I sent an email to ask if there are any left. The thought occured to me that even if I don't use them, I could make coops out of them and seel them maybe. Backyard chickens are just catching on here.

(on a side note, I also discovered my girls are illegal. apparently I was supposed to have an inspection done to obtain a (free) permit ahead of time. Now I'm trying to decide if I should call with my cell and play dumb and ask if they will inspect and permit me with the birds already there, or if I'll need to hide them and pretend I don't have any until after inspection... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by