1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BAH!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dipsey, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Dipsey

Dipsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2015
    My father and I was working on the new chicken tractor and we had the mother hen with her new adopted babies (Black copper Marans) and the one she hatched out a Rhode Island Red inside while we put on the finishing touches. She adopted the chicks with no issue. She has been broody since Feb. Anyway we used 2 coke bottles with a nipple on the bottom for waterer's. One for her hung high and one for the babies hung low. Long story short she got under the higher bottle and had the nipple pushed over so the water was running out on her. She soaked her underbelly and all the chicks!! I pushed her back on the nest as I was pushing her the babies were walking with her. I checked her about 30min ago, although her underbelly is still wet it feels like a sauna under there. I wouldn't mind shrinking to the babies size and crawl under there myself. The babies seamed to be ok, but still wet. I honestly don't know if I should do anything or just let momma hen take care of it?? They don't have access to outside yet they are confined to a 3'x2'x3' box. My father told me they would be fine, but I don't know.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    They probably will be fine, but I would dry momma with a towel - she won't like it, but the sooner she and her chicks are dry, the better.

CT

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Interesting little mishap.

Your father is probably right and I agree with CTKen.

You could dry them individually with a blow dryer on low if you felt it was really needed. But my guess is (since you said it was like a sauna), your broody has got it under control.

I cant wait for the joy of having a broody! Maybe next year.

Best wishes!

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    i agree with the others as long as the temperature where you live is warm. If it's winter now where you live, then that would require some assistance to get all the little family dry enough so as not to invite hypothermia.

5. Dipsey

Apr 11, 2015
    Yeah they were fine and dry this morning.I should have dried her some with a towel. I thought of it but at the same time I was afraid of hurting her or making the babies colder than what they were. I never thought of a hair dryer. Haha it happened so fast and I panicked. My thoughts were something like this "You idiot chicken why didn't you move when you was getting wet instead of just sitting there creating a puddle under you!!!!!" Anyway I only lost 1 but I think there was something wrong with it anyway?? It had a big red spot behind its eye. It was the RIR. The BCM's all are out eating with momma this morning dry and fluffy. Thank you everyone for your replies!! I'll keep them in mind if it happens again.

6. Dipsey

Apr 11, 2015
    Here are some pics of the new tractor and a pic of the broody and some of the babies!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tractor is a 3x6

*edit* took me a min to remember how to post pics here :)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] Your hen and babies are so cute!

I am planning to raise/breed FBCM. I have breeder stock coming in August.

Sorry for your 1 loss. Glad the others are doing well!

8. Dipsey

Apr 11, 2015
    They are really adorable. Little balls of fluff hehe :) I don't know where the guy got his start from, he said from some guy in Ohio. I am hoping from some good lines. But probably from a hatchery. I am so happy to see them all perked up and momma hen taking good care of them. Here is a bonus pic I just snapped. I couldn't resist!!!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by