Bait for traps?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by eggcited2, May 12, 2011.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    I have traps with the following bait: salmon canned cat food, chicken canned cat food, marshmallow cream on cotton balls.

The traps are live traps, but have the leg (hand cuff style) coming.

I am wondering since the raccoons and possum are after my chickens; what about baiting the traps with chicken liver, gizzard, heart? Especially since I am finding a lot of my dead chickens with their chest ripped open and their internal organs ate. The rest of the body is left, just the organs ate.

2. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
  3. jrudolph305

jrudolph305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    I saw signs of coons a while back and talked to a guy that does trapping. He brought out a couple live traps and baited them with honey buns. I think in a week he caught about 5 coons. I also had something come in where I kept some cat food and rip open the bag. Set the live trap with cat food and 2 nights later caught a possum.

4. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Quote:Something keeps going right by two of the live traps set with the canned cat food, and goes in and gets into my bag of flock raiser. I had a new bag I didn't get into the can yet, and ripped a hole into it and I bet 1/3 of the bag was gone.

5. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    The racoons at my place go for catfood, but so do the cats so I use marshmallows. Caught one last night in fact. We had a skunk problem too and they tear into chicken food if they can get to it. Gets pretty expensive to feed the wildlife [​IMG]

6. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Peanut butter, the smell brings them in.

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:Molasses is a good one for coon that does not attract cats as quickly Karo syrup and honey work too

8. wvfoxhunter

wvfoxhunter Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Lewisburg, WV
    Yes chicken livers, gizards, and hearts work very well for almost every problem animal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by