1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baiting a coop?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by weeitsjulee, Sep 13, 2009.

1. weeitsjulee

weeitsjulee New Egg

Sep 13, 2009
    Creedmoor, NC
    I am (obviously) new to this whole chicken-thing. My husband helped build his grandpa's coop when he was young, and he is the main carpenter for our coop we've been working on for the past month or so.

My question is this:
    Can you, or has anyone tried, to bait their brand new coop before putting their chickens in the coop to determine how a predator may be able to get in?

We are attempting to build a fortress, but I know its got to have its weaknesses. I'm thinking if we put some raw meat, or other yummy foods in the coop, BEFORE sticking the chickens in it, we can fix the problems before our babies get taken.

I know we've got a bobcat that roams our 5 acres. We've heard it scream (at us!!!) We don't see very many small animals, like racoons or oppossums, probably because the bobcat is keeping them out of the area!

This may be a stupid idea, but I'm trying to save myself some heart ache, money, and keep my precious RIRs safe! Thanks for the input! [​IMG]

2. 2chickenrich

2chickenrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    Perry, Georgia
    I would not bait my coop but if you worried about preditors get live catch trap and bait it away from coop to catch anything that may cause you problems down the road

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Somebody else here suggested that a few months ago. Never did run across an update.

Imp

4. chickencoop31320

chickencoop31320 Have bator, will hatch

Sep 24, 2008
    Southeast Georgia
    I don't think I would do it.
    I would push, pull and look at every angle as a predator would and see what gives.
    If you bait the area with raw meat and get the predators interested in the area before you put chickens in there... seems like a bad idea to me.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Good luck [​IMG]

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I wouldn't do it either.

You don't want any preditor looking to get a meal at your place.

Make sure you use hardware cloth and not chicken wire. ALWAYS lock the chicks up at night in preditor proof coop. No pet food left out at night. No garbage cans, wild bird seed, or compost.

If the preditors don't get anything to eat at your place, you'll be off the menu. If they are able to get something at your place, they'll keep coming back for more.

Good luck with your little ones.

6. chickencoop31320

chickencoop31320 Have bator, will hatch

Sep 24, 2008
    Southeast Georgia
    ~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

I wouldn't do it either.

You don't want any preditor looking to get a meal at your place.

Make sure you use hardware cloth and not chicken wire. ALWAYS lock the chicks up at night in preditor proof coop. No pet food left out at night. No garbage cans, wild bird seed, or compost.

If the preditors don't get anything to eat at your place, you'll be off the menu. If they are able to get something at your place, they'll keep coming back for more.

Good luck with your little ones.

I second everything sweetcheeks wrote! [​IMG]

7. weeitsjulee

weeitsjulee New Egg

Sep 13, 2009
    Creedmoor, NC
    Thanks for the input y'all! I don't think I'm going to do it, I've asked tons of people for their opinions (just coworkers that are interested in my chicken endeavors, none that have chickens of their own- and they all thought it was a bad idea too!) But now getting some "expert" advice on here, I guess I've made up my mind!

I'm just terrified of that bobcat and I can't imagine the terror it could cause to my little ones!

I'll definitely try pulling and prodding every place I can to determine if it is solid. Good idea!

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

8. skywatcher

skywatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Arlington,Indiana
    If you don't want fertile eggs I wouldn't keep a Rooster,since you live in an area with alot predators. Just by having a rooster you are baiting the hen house. A crowing Rooster is like ringing a dinner bell for the predators they can be heard a mile away.

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I totally agree with NOT baiting your coop. Instead of encouraging a predator to find a way in, encourage it to stay OUT and away. A very good negative stimulus is a hot wire. A few strands around the bottom and/or sides work nicely. Or electric poultry netting around the outside of your run. Hook it up to a solar charger if you don't have electricty to your coop. A lot of larger predators will first make a cursory sniff around the perimeter to find a way in. They get zapped and away they go with not much desire to try again. I think I would definately do this if you know you have a bobcat.

10. ronbonzo

ronbonzo New Egg

Jul 13, 2009
    rural Canton Illinois USA
    Bait it. You'll cut your losses in the long run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by