Bake sale...need ideas. Update pics/sale results!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chicks4kids, Nov 18, 2010.

1. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Ok, tell me if this is corny...... I need to make some things for my childs band booster bake sale....The sale is the day before Thanksgiving at 2 locations in the same town.

I'm making 2 fruit pies for sure, but I was thinking about making pickled eggs (with beet juice so it'll be very vibrant in color), about 6-? to a mayonnaise jar with decorative fabric on top. What do ya' think? yay/nay? Also, what about custard? I would think it would be nice to have custard on Thanksgiving but thats just because I love it. I have so many eggs to use up it's ridiculous and would cost me practically nothing to do either of these....believe me when I say that I have more jars than I can can (tee hee)!!

I've been discussing this with hubby and since neither of us are beet pickled egg fans we're both kinda on the fence with this one. I'd like to know what you think...I normally run concessions at home ND games for band boosters but this is a way for me to become more involved ( yeah, they see me as one of those parents who will do anything) for the kids....I want to be useful, but not corny. What do ya' think??

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i have never had pickled eggs? gonna google a receipe.

so i did the search, very neat. except are the yolks gray in color? thats what a pictured showed?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  3. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    There so MANY pickled egg recipes online.You might consider doing some Cajun one's some people like those.Not sure how long the curing process is on them though.I always make the basic beet one's myself.Custard's would be great.Carrot Cake Cupcake's with some Thanksgiving or fall party topper's?Use the box mix and pretend they are made from scratch!You'll use some a few egg's there.If you have access to electricity take a coffee pot and keep a pot of hot water and several boxes of instant cocoa or cider.Good Luck hope it goes well for you.

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I love the cider idea!! I may have to do that too! But I still don't know about the pickled eggs. I don't want to make them and then noone buy them. If you stopped at a bake sale and saw them would you buy them ya' think??

5. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    I've seen pickled eggs in bars. I always thought you had to be drunk to eat them. They look gross. I would never buy them. cupcakes is a good idea. 25 cents each. If you have to many eggs scramble and feed them to your chickens. That's what we do. Of course right now we're lucky to get 1 a day from 12 chickens. Hot cider and cocoa are great ideas. Never seen that before.

6. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I've made pickled eggs and they're tastey!! I use Cajun spices. I chop them up and put them in salads. Check out some recipes and you can make a variety. I think you can put them out and there is always someone that will be like, "OMG! Pickled eggs!! I love these!!" and buy you out....OR, none will sell and you'll bring them home for your family to enjoy. Worth a try though.

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I've made pickled eggs and they're tastey!! I use Cajun spices. I chop them up and put them in salads. Check out some recipes and you can make a variety. I think you can put them out and there is always someone that will be like, "OMG! Pickled eggs!! I love these!!" and buy you out....OR, none will sell and you'll bring them home for your family to enjoy or give out as gifts. Worth a try though.

WHOOPS!! Didn't hit the stop button in time when editing my post!! Sorry folks!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  8. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    I do not like pickled eggs, but my husband loves them. He would buy 5 jars. [​IMG]

It's not baked and it's not eggs, but I would fill mason jars with soup mix. There's all kinds of recipes if you google. We used to do a bean soup in a mason jar for fundraising and it sold out every time. People bought them for Christmas gifts.

9. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Cupcakes. I love cupcakes.

10. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    waht about eggnog? that uses like 12 eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by