Bake Sales and Wood Sales

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SarahFair, Nov 10, 2009.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Is it illegal to sell stacks of firewood out of your yard?
    What about a bake sale to raise money for a chicken coop?

Has anyone ever done such things?
    Im very good at baking desserts (knock on wood [​IMG]) and would like to sell some for some extra cash around xmas. I feel people could use a homemade pumpkin pie around thanksgiving [​IMG]

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    only if you make a profit

3. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Quote:lol
    So that means its illegal?

4. Hen_House_Rocks!

Hen_House_Rocks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    I know here in MO that if you sell food baked at home you have to get a business license and have your kitchen inspected, etc. That is if you sell at farmers markets or to local restaurants, etc. If you can stay under the radar though, I think it is a great idea! Going through all the licensing, etc would suck all the enjoyment (and profits) right out of a fun project! [​IMG]

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Totally depends on your local laws. Cities are usually worse and have way more restrictions.

Enforcement is another issue. While it may be technically illegal to do it without a business license of some sort, will someone actually come and shut you down?

If you make a profit, you are most likely going to be responsible for paying sales tax. This also depends. Some states exempt food items from sales tax and others do not.

What would I do? Sell the stuff and plead ignorance if I got caught but still get a sales tax license. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  6. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Depends on where you got the wood.... your neighbor may take issue with you selling his 200 year old oak tree for fire wood. LOL

The bake sale would most likely be illegal because in many counties you can't sell food that is not prepared in a comercial kitchen inspected by the health department. and obout 10 other regulations. But in some places you can sell what ever you want.
    Call the health dept. and ask to be sure...

7. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    LOL no the wood is from my SOs family logging company. We sell loads of it and I was thinking the on a frosty morning how we dont have wood here. I would probly go down the street and by stacks of it from someone if they had it.
    I want to be that person [​IMG]

I think ive seen yard sales that have baked good. They were in city limits but were in another county..

8. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    In Colorado we have a lot of women who sell tamales. While technically they are breaking the law by not having an approved commercial kitchen, nobody cares. They set up stands on the side of the road, patrol the parking lot at the local Mexican grocery store and some even have regular routes at businesses like auto repair places. I have yet to see one get arrested, cited, etc...

True, if someone complains they may face fines, but I just haven't seen that happen.

9. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    here in ny if you even have a garage sale for more than 3 days you have to have a license.. so check out your area.. you might need a permit or license if your making money.. i saw kids go to court for selling worms to make money.. it was horrible..

10. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Yeah, but you are in New York. They are horrible when it comes to laws and regulations. My hubby is from Saranac Lake [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by