1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BAKED Eggplant Parm

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigmike&nan, Feb 25, 2011.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

My wife loves her some eggplant parm. But I hate frying up all those eggplant slices and frankly she knows she shouldn't eat that much FRIED stuff. So harking back to an old trick I learned from a guy I worked for I made this dish for her today. I think I'm gonna be in my wife's good graces tonight. LOL

BAKED Eggplant Slices:

Mis en Place:

2 large eggplants cut into 1/2 inch thick slices - salted liberally on both sides

1 1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
    1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 cup buttermilk
    5 large eggs

1/4 cup EVO
    1/4 cup Corn Oil

1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese
    1 1/2 cups pizza blend cheese

Place all the salted eggplant slices on a large baking sheet (or sheets) lined with parchment paper. Combine the EVO and Corn Oil and brush on liberally on all slices, flip them over and repeat. Really brush 'em up good.
    Next combine the seasoned bread crumbs and all purpose flour in a large bowl.
    In a 13x9 pan beat the eggs and buttermilk together well. Now take each slice of eggplant and dredge in the breadcrumb mixture, then dredge in the egg mixture and then back in the breadcrumb mixture, flip each in the bowl to be sure you have them well breaded. Lay each back on the lined sheet pan once breaded. Bake in a 400 degree oven about 30 minutes. Flip and bake another 30 minutes until they are a golden crispy brown.

[​IMG]

While your eggplants are baking we're gonna make a nice fresh sauce fast.

Sauce:

Mis en Place:

4 Tbls EVO
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 tablespoons chopped garlic
    1 cup dry white wine (steal my wife's chardonnay, I won't tell)
    2/3 cup chopped assorted olives
    1 Tbls Herbs de Provence
    1 Tsp red pepper flakes
    1 large can diced tomatoes
    1 large can crushed tomatoes
    2 large bay leaves

Preparation:

Heat dutch oven on high, add EVO and when it smokes add onion and saute about 5 minutes until they are clear, next add garlic, Herbs de Provence and chili flakes. Saute about another 2 minutes. Now add white wine and stir and reduce until almost dry. Add diced and crushed tomatoes, olives and bay leaves and simmer about 45 minutes. Remove from heat.

Assembly:

Lay a generous amount of your sauce on the bottom of a 13 x 9 pan. Lay out your first layer of baked eggplant slices. Now lay down half the grated pizza and parmesan. Ladle some sauce over each. Lay down 2nd layer of eggplant slices, cheese and sauce. Set aside until service time - when ready to serve bake for 1/2 hour at 375 degrees. Remove from oven and let rest for about 15 minutes before cutting. Serve with a hearty green salad and garlic bread.

[​IMG]

2. JAPJRGIRL21

JAPJRGIRL21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    I, like your wife, love fried eggplant! But, we only make Eggplant Parm with baked. I find that leftovers hold up better that way as well. Looks wonderful, thanks for sharing!

3. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Mike, that looks awesome and I love the pics.
    I am a certifiable eggplant freak and I came up with this recipe to be low carb (I am intolerant of gluten) and is also the only thing I ever make in my old, decrepit george foreman grill that we got as a present years ago.
    I slice the eggplant about 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick and brush with italian dressing or olive oil. I cook about 3 to 4 mins til they are getting on the solft side but not mushy. I add a layer of red sauce to the bottom, layer the eggplant, mix my white cheeses of choice (I like everything mixed up---parm, asiago, locatielli, blue, etc----its a great dish to make when there are lots of bits and pieces of cheeses in the fridge. I pulse them in the food processor with a clove of garlic, some fresh herbs if I have them and pulse until finely chopped. Add to the eggplant layer then add another layer of tomato sauce.
    Mix 3 - 4 eggs with milk or half and half 1/4 cup to make a custardy type of topping. Sprinkle with more cheese like parm if desired. Cook uncovered.
    Yummy......i might have to make it tonight. I have friends tell me it's their favorite version of eggplant parm.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  4. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    You are definitely in your wife's good graces. Smart man! Your recipe sounds delicious and I plan to try it this summer. One of the things I love about Jersey is their Italian food! I planted Italian eggplant several years ago but I have a heck of a time raising eggplant and zucchini--I fight the bugs and they usually win. However, I have row covers and plan to hand pollinate zucchini this year. I'm starting Italian eggplant seeds in the house this week. Flowerchild59, your recipe also sounds delicious. I am not familiar with locatielli, so I will have to goggle that. Stores here don't carry a lot of food items that you all have back east.

5. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Yum... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by