baked potato to remove spur????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newbee chick01, Dec 27, 2011.

1. newbee chick01

newbee chick01 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    hi was wondering if anyones tryed the baked potato way of removing spurs.i`ve heard of it but i don`t want to try it till i know if its a good way and exactly how its done [​IMG]

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yep, my grandfather used to rope me into helping him with de-spur his roos all the time when I was young. He used the potato method, and I personally think it's one of the better ways to do it as it doesn't bleed like other methods may cause, and the birds seem to not be in any pain during the procedure.

Here's a really good step by step guide:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8156470_trim-roosters-spurs.html

The only thing I would add to the guide is a couple of items to make your life easier:

1,) wrap your rooster in a towel, such that it covers his eyes (leave room for him to breathe though), and has his legs sticking out. This will keep him from struggling from being held too long.

2.) Make sure your potato does not touch the rooster's leg, just the spur. You can wrap the leg in a seperate towell, with spur exposed, if you want to be extra sure you don't accidentally burn the leg.

3. newbee chick01

newbee chick01 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    great link [​IMG] i`d heard of it but never knew how or if it worked.now i know [​IMG] thanks [​IMG][​IMG]

4. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Between incubating eggs in bras and baked potato spur removal...... yall are the Encyclopedia Britanica of the chicken world! [​IMG]

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    You're very welcome [​IMG] I never thought it was weird because I was raised with it, but I can see where it would be an interesting concept to others. The spur pops off nice and pretty with minimal pain to the bird.

Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by