bakers dozen

annanicole18

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Well had been working late all week and didnt have to have the eggs for the fridge and dh was kind enough to feed and water everyone so the eggs didnt get gathered until today. Well they would have been gathered but i had two girls decide that a big batch of eggs was just too good a deal to pass up. Picked the first one up and moved her she got up and ran after a few minutes but my other one decided to go velociraptor on me. Went inside to get a pencil to mark them and told my husband we had a bakers dozen in the oven... he said good luck and if she does good this time we will get me some nicer hatching eggs then my mutts. Fingers crossed for my first timer. So does anyone know what brahma/wyandotts crossed with partridge silkie looks like? Interesting im sure...

Getting close now can't wait to see what these little buggers look like!!! If you are letting a broody collect eggs when do you usually start counting? The newest the eggs could be would be sunday the 4th. Good news is if she hatches out some then decided to leave and take them out of the nest and not all are hatched then I have 3 other hens that would love to play momma to the newer eggs that might hatch a few days later then the first ones.

well two had hatched but mom sucks and she killed one it looks like even ripped skin off the legs. the other one was warm and fluffy under her then she started pecking at it when i went to put it back so no more babies for her. I will be getting up a couple times tonight to pull chicks as they hatch since she seems to be an unfit first time mother and i'm not taking anymore chances. the chick is cute though. chipmunk striped and looks like it will have more silkie type feathers. four toes and feathered feet. poor little one is lonely though hope the rest hatch and mom doesn't kill them and that I can pull them in time.

So it has been 9 days since the first chick hatched out. Started with 12 eggs mom killed one we had 4 in the brooder then lo and behold three days ago another one hatched so that was a 50 percent hatch rate. Now yesterday I saw that there were two more pips of impending hatching this morning they are out and fluffy and there is another darn pip! This is the never ending hatch I will never and I mean never let them keep a clutch of eggs that has been gathered over days. I guess I will never get to hatch my silkie eggs.... On a good note mom is doing awesome with her most recent babies and I'm not sure if I want to take them since there is such an age difference.

Age difference isnt as big of a problem with chicks as it is with some other poultry as long as the younger ones have access to food and water as well and can escape the bigger ones if they need to... Or you could always jerry-rig a divider into your brooder to seperate them

Congrats on the bitties!

Let the hen give it a try, but keep an eye on her. If necessary you can combine the newest chicks being on the watch if they start being trampled by the larger chicks.

Well I have given all her babies back and she is doing a great job. Guess that first chick surprised her and she didn't know what the end result of sitting on a bunch of eggs was.... Even the older ones are very happy to be with her since they get to free range rather than being cooped in a brooder.

Back
Top Bottom