1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baker's Grease...GREAT STUFF for making your cakes FALL OUT of the pan

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by msgenie516, Apr 2, 2009.

1. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I know this has been mentioned in other threads, but I don't think as the title subject and I thought some of the bakers out there may have missed it and it is too good to miss. It's the only thing I use and it works unbelieveably good to make your baked goods release from the pan!

I found this on a baking forum and it was mentioned that this is what the bakeries use and they did actually call it "Baker's Grease". The ingredients are very simple. Use equal parts (I used 1/4 cup of each) of the following:

Shortening (I used Crisco)
    Vegetable Oil (I used canola oil as that was all I had)
    Flour (probably all-purpose, that's what I used)

The instructions say to beat it all together with a mixer but I did it by hand with a whisk and it was fine. I store the leftovers covered in the refrigerator. It seems to keep a very long time.

You can use whatever is easiest for you, but I use a pastry brush to apply it to the baking pan. I find this is not only better but much easier than greasing and flouring, as I always manage to get flour all over the place! [​IMG]

Hope this helps! [​IMG] Genie

2. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    wow. that's great. I buy that expensive stuff at Michael's. No longer. [​IMG] Thanks for the tip.

3. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Thank You, I'm going to whip up a batch of that to use from now on!!!!

4. Peeper

Peeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Little Rock, AR
    Thanks for the tip. We will be using this from now on.

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Me too... Wilton Cake Release. I'll have to try this recipe and see how it works. [​IMG]

6. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I'm so glad you folks are going to give this stuff a try! I swear by it!

I once had such a problem cake that no matter what I did, including using parchment paper at the bottom of the pan, it just wouldn't release and was always in pieces. It was then that I searched the web for a better way to prepare the baking pans and came up with "Baker's Grease". When I used it, it was the first time this cake came right out of the pan! It had sugared apples in it and I think the sticky syrup they produced was the problem but no more.

And yes, granmahen and The Chicken Lady, I did forget to mention that it is very economical to use. In our distressed economic times, we can always use something like that!

If you have a chance, please let me know how it works for you. Thanks! [​IMG] Genie

7. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi again,

It's me again! Just wondering if anyone has tried this and had success with it. I'm still using this concoction and it hasn't failed me, not even once. Now that the cooler weather is here, I will be trying it out more than ever. Back to baking again! Anxious to hear from anyone! [​IMG] Genie

8. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Hi there Genie, thanks for reposting this as I missed it the other times. LOL I try to be economical in everything now a days with dh being out of work for so long so this is wonderful. I will have to make up a batch and give it a try when I bake the next cake. Cupcakes are the things that give me a problem...I am anxious to try this on my cupcake pans. I usually have to spray my cupcake liners to get the c.cakes to pop out and not stick. I might try this w/out the liners. thanks

9. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    oh gonna try this I have to make ds's b-day cakes soon. and I do a bit of baking although usually muffins and cupcakes where I can use paper cups [​IMG]

10. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Thanks for the tip. I will let my wife in on this one. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by