1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baking Soda OR Electrolytes?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickluvinfreak, Apr 7, 2016.

1. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

I would like to add baking soda to my laying hens diet this summer. Which I have read is commonly done on commercial farms to increase calcium absorption. But the weather will be 100-120 degrees and the chickens need ectrolytes added to the water. Can they be given baking soda and electrolytes? The article I read it from said to use either or but not if you could use both. Also will baking soda harm chicks eating the older hens feed?

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I would suggest that the best place to get the answer you are looking for is the "Feeding and watering your flock" forum. I am unable to help you with your question, sorry.

Best wishes

CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Agree with CTKen. I've never heard of giving them baking soda, so can't advise you.

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

Do not give them baking soda - it is Sodium bicarbonate and they don't do well with extra Sodium and in the heat could be deadly.

And IMO they don't routinely need electrolytes --- but in heat they need lots of cool, clean water. Ice and lettuce in the water helps to keep them cooler.

And IMO - don't try to pattern after the commercial folks [​IMG]

5. chickluvinfreak

Thank you for the answers. I know they don't usually need electrolytes. But in 100+ degree weather isn't it important? I lost 11 chickens last year (it was 120 degrees) and would like to be able to prevent it from happening again. Can I give them electrolyte water every other day or something similar? Thanks again

6. chickluvinfreak

If baking soda is bad is their anything else to prevent thin eggshells in the summer? And do thin shells mean the chickens are unhealthy?

7. spurrer

spurrer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2016
    Attalla, Ala
    I think it means they are not getting enough calcium. New here too.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by