baking soda

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cottagechick, Sep 19, 2011.

1. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I have been wanting to bathe my chicks...but don't want to actually get them wet...because I can't find my blow dryer after the move..I was thinking in bed last night (about how to bathe my chicks...I know... [​IMG] ) Would letting them use baking soda as a dust bath help? I use it to clean and deodorize everything else it seems... And problems with this idea?

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    how old are they...and...do they REALLY need a bath? [​IMG]

3. cottagechick

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Quote:WELL probably not...but they don't smell as good as they did when they were brand new (they are three weeks old today - and they don't smell as good as my pullets outside...they are in a spare bedroom split between a large bird cage and a plastic tub. There are two lf in one and five bantams in the other (pecking issues) I am have had some complaints that the room is starting to smell less than spring fresh...so I am going to clean their area again today so that the complaints don't get so bad that I have to move them outside this soon. But since they also smell less than spring fresh I thought it might help to actually "bathe" them as well.

4. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Mine are almost 3 wks too! I gave them a dish of sand to bathe in and they loved it! THEY don't smell bad...I have them on pine chip bedding that I change frequently and that can get stinky quick! I have 12 all together!

[​IMG]

5. cottagechick

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    mine are on hay. And I have changed it about six times in the three weeks I have them... I wouldn't say they smell BAD...but if you hold them close and sniff them they definitely aren't as fresh as before... ;-) I did give them sand when I noticed one of them trying to take a dust bath in the hay.

Quote:

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Right around the 3 week mark chick poop changes smell. Maybe it just gets bigger. Dunno. Either way, I usually can make it to between 3 and 4 weeks old before I can't stand it anymore and I boot them outside. They definitely go from being cute and sweet to being stinky, dusty little boogers.

7. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Get some of the pellet type bedding and moisten it really good. Put it in a shallow pan for the to dust in.It smells great and mine love to roll around in it when it is fresh.

8. rpchris

rpchris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Saint Louis, MO
    Mine are 3 weeks old. I gave them a box of sand with some DE and baking soda mixed in. They roll around in it and dust bathe and they smell fine.

You just need to use a box with sides that are high enough to keep the pine shavings out and the sand in otherwise you'll end up with a box of dusty shaving and a brooder full of sand. I don't know how they do it but they do.

[​IMG]

Edited to add photo.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  9. Cosmopolis Chick

Cosmopolis Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Grays Harbor
    Quote:It can't be good in their eyes or lungs.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:But then, neither is DE.

Here, they'd go outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by