Baking

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by KenK, Jan 27, 2011.

1. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I started baking a couple of years ago; seemed like half the bread we bought at our rural grocery store was stale when bought. I experimented for a few months and finally settled on a few formulas that were straight forward and yielded bread we like. My wife and I both don't consider a meal a "meal" unless there is bread.

Our weekly bread:

Sandwich rolls for my lunch every day. Sometimes shared. : )
    [​IMG]

Small Baguettes, we split one every night for dinner.
    [​IMG]

Bagels for my wife's breakfast, I eat peanut butter crackers!
    [​IMG]

Odds and ends and special occasions:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Yum [​IMG] My bread never seems to raise right so I don't make it often, but good job yours looks good!

3. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    You didn't post recipes. For this, you are not a man.

(hint: post recipes, earn streetcred) [​IMG]

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Very awesome! I love making biscuits & bread from scratch...unfortunately, I'm trying to give up bread in an effort to shed some weight...

5. KenK

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Quote:Baguettes:
    18 ounces flour
    12 ounces water
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon yeast

A large book on how to combine those four ingrediants into delicious bread instead of a brick that a chicken wouldn't eat.

King Arthur Flour has a website that is very helpful. The Fresh Loaf dot com has a wealth of information. Baking bread isn't hard but it requires some sweat equity for sure.

6. KenK

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Quote:All things in moderation. I could more easily become a vegan than I could give up bread. A reasonable serving of lean bread does not have that many calories.

7. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote:All things in moderation. I could more easily become a vegan than I could give up bread. A reasonable serving of lean bread does not have that many calories.

And calories aren't all that matters either. [​IMG] Bread is actually an excellent source of quite a few nutrients the human body needs and is quite reasonable in negative things (low fat yogurt is the opposite). A good caloric intake is essential to weight loss, believe it or not. Your body will start eating it's muscle sugars to energize yourself before it'll eat the sugars in your fat - unless you keep yourself fed.

8. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:**snicker**

9. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG]

Your Bread looks fantastic!

10. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Really great looking stuff - but the ladies are right, no recipes ?!?!?!? SHAME ON YOU !!!! LOL
    Very inspiring - if you could post one of the recipes from that site, simply cut/paste it and acknowledge where you got it from.

And by the way, your kitchen is too clean - have me over, we'll cook up a mess of stuff and get that stove looking proper in no time. LOL
    (I get nailed here often for posting photos of food in a working kitchen (read dirty).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by