Balance-challenged chicken

Dimondel

Songster
Sep 7, 2021
QLD, Australia
I have a two month old (fairly sure it’s a hen) that is unsteady on her feet. Can’t jump over a brick and stumbles over her own feet and trips herself over. Gets around alright but not quickly and is constantly falling over. Checked for mites, injuries and other nasties but couldn’t find anything. Very friendly and sweet, just worried about her. Eating and drinking plenty, and gets most of the day outside. Likes to sit in our cherry tomato bush most of the day. We thought maybe her legs weren’t strong enough to support her (not a meat bird btw), so we’ve been trying to get her to forage in the grass more instead of sitting down. Have considered the possibility of a disease, however I haven’t noticed any other symptoms. If anyone has any advice, I’d really appreciate hearing it. Also has been having this dirt stuff stuck to her face that’s difficult to get off.

Attachments

• 59B6A895-472F-4D74-B112-1C1071C8D2FA.jpeg
    59B6A895-472F-4D74-B112-1C1071C8D2FA.jpeg
    366.7 KB · Views: 2
  • ED9EF9C6-C470-4324-8DEF-B3F22510BDA8.jpeg
    ED9EF9C6-C470-4324-8DEF-B3F22510BDA8.jpeg
    419.5 KB · Views: 1
I have a two month old (fairly sure it’s a hen) that is unsteady on her feet. Can’t jump over a brick and stumbles over her own feet and trips herself over. Gets around alright but not quickly and is constantly falling over. Checked for mites, injuries and other nasties but couldn’t find anything. Very friendly and sweet, just worried about her. Eating and drinking plenty, and gets most of the day outside. Likes to sit in our cherry tomato bush most of the day. We thought maybe her legs weren’t strong enough to support her (not a meat bird btw), so we’ve been trying to get her to forage in the grass more instead of sitting down. Have considered the possibility of a disease, however I haven’t noticed any other symptoms. If anyone has any advice, I’d really appreciate hearing it. Also has been having this dirt stuff stuck to her face that’s difficult to get off.
That's dried blood.

She may have gotten hurt, & has some brain damage from the injury to the head.

Are they with adult birds?

No, unless a wild one has been picking on her. Are you sure? Anyway thank you, I’ll looking into it.
Yes, that's dried blood. She's been beaten.

If she hasn't been beaten, she flew into a wall really hard.

Yes, definitely check in with the other birds.

Okay, thank you. Though she might’ve done a particularly bad face-first crash landing. Is there anything else I can do for her other than keep her safe?
Clean her up, with some lightly soapy warm water, & paper towel. Use some none pain relief Triple Antibiotic ointment on any wounds you see?

What's your coop set up like?

Clean her up, with some lightly soapy warm water, & paper towel. Use some none pain relief Triple Antibiotic ointment on any wounds you see?

What's your coop set up like?
She’s inside with me of a night. She’s free to roam around or sit on old towels and blankets, and I’ve also set up a little box for her to seek shelter and nest in. She has full access to food any water. Don’t think any predators are getting to her if a night time.

Back
Top Bottom