balanced diet

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gal_amy, Feb 24, 2011.

1. gal_amy

gal_amy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    I'm getting 15 baby chicks tomorrow. Not the first time, but I really don't want to spend three times the money on organic.

Our coop is nice size with a large yard. We won't be able to have them run free range.

I am thinking about the start & grow, then the flock raiser with oyster shell.

But what I really desire is the deep yellow yolks they get from outside ranging.

What about kelp, alfalfa. any other suggestions.

thanks so much

Amy

2. GarlicEater

GarlicEater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    Grow collard greens, and comfrey, and give them those. Both are plants that are ultra-productive and frankly kinda hard to kill.

Just my 2c, what I do right now, I'm kinda new at this but the chickens sure like these plants.

3. gal_amy

gal_amy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    Quote:I wonder how hard it would be to sprout wheat? and at what age could I give it to them?

I am really interested in the yellow yolks that free range chicks produce

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  4. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    sprouting is SUPER easy i sprout for my parrot takes like secons a day

sprouted seeds/lentils have more nutriotion right when sprouted then with out. ifyou google there's lots of directions but mostly keep moist- rinse daily a bit of ACV or grape seed oil can help combat ickies if your ding big batches

5. elsiehammer

elsiehammer New Egg

Mar 11, 2009
    When I think of it I put hot water in alfalfa pellets and by the time I walk around the corner (quite a walk, different property) the pellets are soft. In their hard state they are much too big for the hens. I think of it as a cold weather spring tonic. I am hoping that there are plenty of pasture like nutrients in these mushy greens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by