1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Balanced rooster diet

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by M EGG, Oct 14, 2016.

1. M EGG

M EGG Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    NJ
    Looking to find an organic/non gmo feed for 7 mos old roosters with 15 % protein & under 2% calcium... willing to home prepare a balanced feed. Suggestions?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Putting your general location in your profile, at least country but maybe closer if it's a big country, might help with local suggestions.

My suggestion is to look for Grower. Anything other than Layer should meet your calcium requirement, which I agree with by the way. But why are you so worried about the exact protein requirement? I consider percentage protein as a general guideline, not an absolute precise requirement. Knowing why you are that concerned about it might help with coming up with an acceptable answer.

Protein, calcium, fiber, fats, or any of the other nutritional requirements is not about what is in one bite. It’s about how much total they eat in the course of a day. Even that is not what’s critical, it’s what they eat over the course of several days but I believe you’re looking for an everyday feed. If all you can find is an 18% protein feed, then feed them additional low-protein feeds or treats to get the average down. A lot of kitchen or garden wastes will work. Or if you can let them forage for part of their feed, they’ll probably balance it nicely themselves.

I’m not one to micromanage every bite they eat. I do believe they need a balanced diet; fats, fiber, protein, salt, calcium, and everything else that makes up their total nutritional requirements. But I accept these things as ranges, not precise exact percentages. These requirements can be met from many different sources.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by