Balck Ameraucana Chicks Age for gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dray67, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Dray67

Dray67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Aberdeen, MD
    I have 5 Black Ameraucana chicks that are 7 weeks old. At what age cani tell the roosters from the hens? I'll post some pics when i get home this evening.

Dave

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You should be able to tell now by the comb, but pea combs, especially on BBS birds, can be quite tricky. I always look for the iridescence on blacks, the hawk-face on the boys, and the size/redness on the combs.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You should be able to tell now. Boys have a wider comb and the 3 rows are more prominent. And they should be pink by now too.

ETA: Here are my pure ameraucana girls at just under 6 weeks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The one in the back corner here had me questioning myself for a while as her comb was wider than the others. But they all are girls.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  4. Yessur Ebob

Yessur Ebob Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    It depends on the bird, but usually we tell the cockerels from the pullets by their hackles and saddle feathers.

5. Dray67

Dray67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Aberdeen, MD
    Ok so just took these, every one has that blue gren shine. One has a big high tail and i think Roo. [​IMG]
    and another [​IMG]
    one more [​IMG]
    this is the one im sure is a roo [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  6. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    Ha! These always declare themselves late. We have a black Ameraucana rooster who escaped the Amish Butcher by cackling like a hen. The man picked the cockerel up, said 'This is a pullet!' and sent him back!

Oh well, we like our Robin.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The black females will have the green sheen too. The last one looks like a rooster. The rest I see look like girls. The only one I'd watch is in the first pic on the right. The comb is wide, but not raised yet. Reminds me of my girl that kept me guessing for a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by