Bald Bellies and Butts - Normal?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by homesteader, Aug 29, 2007.

1. homesteader

homesteader Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2007
    Our Cornish X are 3 weeks old and their entire underside and little butts are completely bald. They rubbed off all of their chick down. Their feathers are coming in nicely, but I don't know if their bellies will grow feathers. They sit around on their bellies all day. Could that be causing it?

Is this normal? Is this what people call breast blisters? What do I do?

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    It's a little bit that they lay down so much the feathers are rubbed off; the other part is Cornish X grow quicker than their feathers can keep up. So yes, all Cornish X will be half bald most the time.

I've been experimenting with slower growing meat birds (Freedom Rangers). They have all kept in full feather as they've grown.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It is normal for them, they just drag themselves and sit around all day. You know they are gong to be food right? So not to worry, they will be on the table before you know it.

4. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    Yep, that was a question that I had awhile back for my friend who raises meat chickens. For my Cornish Crosses, their bellies never really grew feathers. It didn't seem to cause them any problems though. As for their butts, some of those went bald, and others didn't. And some are cleaner than others, which seems to make them feather-out more.

I have "Cornish Roasters" from McMurray in this batch, and they still look about the same as the Cornish Cross that I had before. I think they are bit more active, and better foragers, but for the most part, they look and act about the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by