bald black patch on rooster's back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lambie333, Jan 18, 2013.

1. lambie333

lambie333 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    I'm a new chicken owner, and recently got 6 eggers, 1 roo and 5 hens, or so we thought. One of the hens matured into a roo and started beating up on my "original" rooster. I brought the new roo to a friend's farm today and am doctoring original but worried this is something more:

He has a bear patch on his back, feathers look plucked and some broken, with the center of the bald spot being black, some red spots and regular skin around the edge. I cleaned and slathered with neosporin, isolated him, and then applied blue coat and put him back with the girls.

Any advice?

Have a pic but not sure how to attach...

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm thinking the black area is the scabbing which will eventually be shed when it heals. He could also have some bruising. You might need to have at least 10 post before you can post photos. that is the way is was when I first started posting on the forum.

keep putting the neosporin on and checking to make sure the hens are not tempted to peck at his wound. I think he will heal up fine.

3. lambie333

Jan 18, 2013
    Ok, thanks for your feedback!

4. lambie333

Jan 18, 2013
    One more question - it is supposed to get brutally cold here in Western WI in the next day or so (-2 is our projected high Monday) They are in a sturdy but uninsulated coop with lots of bedding and a heat lamp, but should I be concerned about frostbite on his back - the bald patch is about 4" in diameter.

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't think you will have to worry about frostbite on his back like an extremity or the comb, especially if you have some neosporine on the area. The petroleum jelly base of the ointment actually protects the skin from frostbite. That reminds me, I need to set out my container of vaseline to make sure I slather some on my roosters' combs this afternoon to protect them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by