Bald bloody butts

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by dpears28, Oct 11, 2013.

1. dpears28

dpears28 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2013
    Superior, Wi
    Hi, I keep all my birds together (chickens,turkeys,ducks) and everyone seems to get along. My problem is my two turkeys are getting their butts pecked at and are bald and bloody. I bought pick no more at my local feed store but it doesn't seem to do the trick. Does anyone have any advice on a better product to help heal their butts and stop the picking? I cannot separate them so that isn't an option for me. Thank you very much.

2. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    My friend fashioned little chicken sweaters for the girls she had that were being picked on by the others... kind of like a body suit, they weren't pretty, but they were protective and gave her birds time to heal.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Try upping the protein. They'll heal quicker and more importantly, may eliminate the picking. Feathers are mostly protein and feather picking is often the result of insufficient protein in the diet.

4. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    You could use some sulfur based meds, like NuStock, on the pecked areas, to help them heal quicker. Hopefully the others will not like the taste of it either. I also think upping the amount of protein in their feed and making sure they aren't overcrowded, These are the two main causes of pecking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by