Bald bum

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by samlydia, Aug 28, 2013.

1. samlydia

samlydia Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    England
    hey guys,

One of my chicks has a bald area around her bottom. Ive been keeping an eye on her anyway as she seems to be rather constipated at times and screeches in pain when pooing. we've been putting ACV in the drinking water and I've been checking her for patty butt, but patty butt doesn't seem to be the problem. However she does get a lot of poo around her bottom area which I've been gently cleaning when it needs it. Is the bald patch from her pecking at her own bottom? or could it be the other chicks pecking at her? Any suggestions would help.

Thanks

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If she gets a lot of poo around her vent, that's probably pasty butt. I'd add a bit of molasses to the water rather than ACV. Pasty butt is basically constipation. Be sure they have water at all times -- which can be a challenge with youg chicks. Also you might try turning down the heat in their brooder. They can handle being a little cool a lot better than being a little warm. If they are on pine shavings, you might try covering them with paper towels or whatever for a while, as it may be eating to many of them.

The bald butt can simply be from cleaning, though she or others could be pulling feathers (fluff) out, too. It may help to use a little Neosporin or Vaseline, or even veg oil, on the skin after cleaning her.

3. samlydia

samlydia Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    England
    Thanks very much, tried the olive oil and reduced the temp in the brooder slightly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by