bald bums?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cheeriotwins, Feb 21, 2009.

1. cheeriotwins

cheeriotwins Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    3 of my 6 hens (1 plymouth rock and 2 ri reds) have lost much of their down feathers on the bottoms. could anyone tell me what this is...is it normal. they were hatched in june and have been laying very well for a couple of months now. thanks in advance.

2. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    usually pecking eachother....
    are they in a big enough area??? are they getting plenty of other things to peck at??? getting proper nutrition???

3. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Are they also losing feathers around their neck area? Have you check for mites or lice?

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Is it around the vent area?
    If they don't have mites, it could be normal. Some chickens get a little bare in the vent area after they've been laying for awhile.

5. cheeriotwins

Jun 7, 2008
    wow...thanks for all the replies.

about the pecking eachother...i've never seen them peck at eachother, but i'm not in there with them at night...no, there's no feather loss around anyones necks, just a round bald circle about 3 inches in circumfrence below the vent.

about their space, i do believe that it's big enough...

about mites and lice...what do they look like? how do i check for them?

thanks again!

6. cheeriotwins

Jun 7, 2008
    oh, and about nutrition...i think they're getting the right stuff...i feed them green mountain organic layer pellets, grit and veggies & fruits from the kitchen.

i put logs and branches in their enclosure for them to peck at and sometimes some leaves too. everything's frozen, so there's no bugs and very little grass.

any other suggestions would be appreciated...i'm fairly new at this...

7. Sagechick

Sagechick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2008
    Sage CA
    On this note,

Does anyone know why my rooster has the same problem? Only his bum is red and his legs are reddish. He is also down to only fuzzy down as most of his feathers have "molted?"

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You can use a flashlight and go in to the coop at night to check for mites crawling around near their vent.
    If the area is also red, I would definitely suspect mites.

It's normal for a roo's legs to be reddish this time of year.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  9. sutphindanesnchickens

sutphindanesnchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    NorthofColumbus Ohio
    ok if it is mites how do you treat them for it? how do you get rid of it? i have several RIR that have several bare bums or almost no tail feathers but was told they are molting? how do you know the difference?
    CONFUSED AS USUAL IN OH

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Moulting usually causes feather loss all over, starting at the head and going towards the rear.
    Here's some pictures of a hen in the middle of a MILD moult:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you confirm mites, there are dusts and sprays for poultry that you can use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by