Bald butt on chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CarolJ, Sep 25, 2011.

1. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I have a 6-week old Araucana chick. Beautiful chick but its butt is completely bald and has been since we got it three weeks ago. I've watched the group of chicks, and it doesn't seem that the others are pecking at this one. However, that little bald butt is very noticeable and looks bad. It's not swollen - just bald. The chick is active, eats and drinks well - and doesn't seem to have any other problems except occasional diarrhea which dries on the bald butt and makes it look worse. Should I just chill out? Will it always be bald?

2. jodiea60

jodiea60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Arkansaw
    I am bumping this I have one that has a bald butt too....No pecking or swelling or redness just bald!!! Happy acting chick....4 weeks old...

3. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Genetic abnormality?

4. ChickasaurusRex

ChickasaurusRex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    Oh that's normal! BUT if the poop sticks on the butt you need to clean it so she doesn't have pasty butt. When chicks grow they have bald spot all over! It's just loss of fuzz and then their feathers grow out. Some chicks have something with their genetics that slows their growth and so they get their feathers later then their hatch mates; or their feathers grow in weird [​IMG]
    Well hope this helps! [​IMG]

5. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Thanks. These are my first chicks, and Araucana chicks aren't cheap! So I was hoping I wasn't sold a bad one. Except for the bald butt, he/she is a gorgeous chick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by