Bald butt silkie?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Puddle Foot Farm, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    As some of you may know, at the beginning of my new chick journey, two of my chicks weren't so well. Scrabble and Boggle. But, they both survived!
    But now.. Boggle has forced me to post with another question. Why in the WORLD does my little white silkie have a COMPLETELY BALD BUTT?!
    I'm not even joking. Around her vent and general backside, where I originally had problems because of her poop butt, it seems that she does not have any feathers.
    So.. I must ask.. Is this normal? And will I always have a white, poofy silkie with a completely bald butt? :|

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Have they been pecked out? Have you checked for lice that could have broken them, or are they just not grown in yet? If bugs aren't chewing off the feathers, and they aren't being plucked out, they will grow back during moult.

3. Puddle Foot Farm

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    It just doesn't look like there's any feather follicles at all.. I just cleaned her up a little bit, and I'm sure there's no lice or bugs on her at all. In general though, she does seem a little bit bare, like she just doesn't have as much feathers as my other silkie. [​IMG]

4. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

My white silkies are 9 weeks old, and they went through a bare butt time too. Weird! They had really runny poo, one still does in fact, and had pasty butt during the time they went bare. It made the cleaning job easier!

My thought was that they pecked off the stuck on poo and their feathers went too. Now they are nice and fluffy bottomed, and everywhere except under the wings. I do not know if that fills in or not, these are my first chickens.
    [​IMG]

Jayne

5. Puddle Foot Farm

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Thank you so much, Jayne! My chick got pasty butt, so.. I suppose the same thing happened. I just thought it was kinda weird looking.. [​IMG]

6. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

Definitely weird. Alien, smooth black hiney exposed! Cracked me up tho I am glad they grew back in. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by