I have a problem. It started this spring but slowly got much worse. I have four very sweet one year old hens but 3/4 of them have completely bald butts. It doesn't seem to bother them or their egg production, but their butts are very red and two of the hens(my Rhode island red and my sapphire gem) have almost no feathers. The third one(Speckled Sussex) has a somewhat bald butt but my fourth one(Buff Orrington) has all her feathers. I keep their coop and run clean, by the advice of most articles I've read I do the deep litter method with wood shavings. Their run is completely sand. I also live in urban St. Paul right in the Mississippi river valley so my chickens have limited space. But I did buy a run extension recently that I am going to build this weekend. What do I need to do?
Have you looked for mites?

One of my hens(kelly) pecks at another one's face(fifi) whenever food is around. Its a big problem that I have been asking about on a different forum but I've never witnessed her plucking feathers.
Pecking the face while there's food on it shouldn't be a problem unless you're actually seeing blood. I can those 'beak cleaners.' That's when beak cleaners do, they clean each other's faces. I had a hen, Katie, who was a beak cleaner. I have a few pictures where she actually had her tongue out cleaning another hen's face. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's actually a really good thing. :)

I've seen some hens just randomly have bald butts, and by next molt they get their 'fluffy bum bum' feathers back. I don't really know what causes it, but my current bald butt girl I'm pretty sure is due to a feather plucker.

Pecking the face while there's food on it shouldn't be a problem unless you're actually seeing blood. I can those 'beak cleaners.' That's when beak cleaners do, they clean each other's faces. I had a hen, Katie, who was a beak cleaner. I have a few pictures where she actually had her tongue out cleaning another hen's face. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's actually a really good thing. :)

I've seen some hens just randomly have bald butts, and by next molt they get their 'fluffy bum bum' feathers back. I don't really know what causes it, but my current bald butt girl I'm pretty sure is due to a feather plucker.
Oh that's really cool I've never heard of that! Unfortunately I don't think that is the case with my hens because fifi always loudly squeals and runs away when Kelly pecks her and she's lost all of her feathers on her head. Fifi has become so timid that I cant even pet her anymore☹ When do molts typically start?

Oh that's really cool I've never heard of that! Unfortunately I don't think that is the case with my hens because fifi always loudly squeals and runs away when Kelly pecks her and she's lost all of her feathers on her head. Fifi has become so timid that I cant even pet her anymore☹ When do molts typically start?
Oh. That's too bad. Maybe your hen is bullying your other hen? Molts I've seen are often spring or fall. My hens I'm expecting to molt this fall.

Back
Top Bottom