Bald Butts

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Pelephant, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Pelephant

Pelephant Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Two of my chickens have been balding around the vent butt and neck area. I haven't seen any of my other chickens actively attacking them, and I don't own any roosters. I'm afraid it might be mites or lice. Any advice?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hen Pecked honey

Hen Pecked honey Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa california
    Mine have the same thing... I can't figure it out as well.
    Maybe someone can help us.

I even dusted my girls but no help.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Here's a good source on lice and mites:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Probably a good idea to treat for them now and then, anyway; they fall off wild birds; they are everywhere. I like ivermectin because it gets them and worms the bird as well. Still have to treat the coop, though.

Could be molting, at least around the neck. I'd actually suspect feather picking, unless you see sign of lice/mites at night.

Lice/mites, feather picking and molting are the only causes of feather loss that I know of, unless they are sick with something like botulism, but you'd know they were sick.... Feather picking can be being crowded or protein deficiency.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2009
  4. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

i would have to say feather picking , only because with the feathers being totally ripped out . Mites and lice just take the feather down almost to skin , not rip them out completely

5. Pelephant

Pelephant Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    ^ You might be right! I actually spotted one of the other chickens pecking at the area a few minutes ago. Although the neck does seem like an odd spot.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Not really. It is fairly well out of reach for the victim.

7. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Are any of the chickens eating the feathers?
    How many chickens do you have and what is the size of their coop and run?

If they are eating the feathers you have a problem with lack of protein in their diet.

A minimum of 4 square feet per chicken is needed ( I don't think that's enough personally)

Just to be on the safe side I would dust everyone with poultry dust to get rid on any lice or mites. I would also increase their nutrition. Give scrambled egg, cottage cheese, yogurt, chopped greens, a little fruit (can cause diarhhea) and vegetables. Don't give all the treats at once, rotate them and don't overdue it.

If you don't have poultry vitamins purchase some. They are in a powder form and you just mix them with their water. If you think they have a protein deficiency purchase a quality dry cat food. Give each hen 4 or 5 pieces each day for 2 or 3 weeks. Don't use dog food because it gets it's protein from grains and cat food is made from meats.

None of the above can hurt. It's worth a try. You certainly have well fed, healthy chickens going in to the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by