Bald Butts

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jmjoffrion, Oct 2, 2011.

1. jmjoffrion

jmjoffrion Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    Agua Dulce
    I have a small flock of 8 hens and one rooster. One of my girls, who is a little over year old, has a completely bald butt. Now, a few others are starting to develop the same condition. Today I noticed my rooster had a bald heiny as well. The nesting boxes are bedded with straw that is changed our completely once a week. It is cleaned daily. Anyone have any comments on this?

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

I would check them for mites/lice theres a good chance that's what is going on. If so, you can go to the hardware store and purchase Sevin and dust them real good.

3. gmachicken

gmachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Grants Pass, OR
    Hi there,
    We had the same problem with our first hens, one has made it to 2 /12 years.
    We asked around about it and it seemed that it just happens. As long as they are healthy otherwise it isn't a problem.
    Soo we just let it be and the one we still have has a beautiful fluffy butt she has never had a bald butt since that first year.
    It doesn't hurt to treat for mites, that could have been the problem but the folks around here never mentioned it.
    Have a great day.

4. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    I second looking for mites, but could they be molting? There are several links discussing molting and which feathers they loose first. I don't think that the fluffy bottom feathers are usually the first to go, but every bird is different. Is there any chance one of the others is eating feathers? We had a tough summer here, and the girls started to get low on protein which made a couple start eating feathers, and fluffy bottom feathers where their favorite. I bought game bird feed and mixed 1:1 with their flock feed. Stopped the feather eating. We also sprayed the bottoms that were bare with blu-kot to discourage the feather eaters. So, look for mites, check to see if molting is beginning (is it fall for you, that is peak molting time) and then look for someone pulling out feathers.....Hope that helps, and good luck.

5. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    molting

6. jmjoffrion

May 13, 2010
    Agua Dulce
    I thought molting too but I find it hard to think they'd molt only on their butts and all at once.

I have checked for mites and treat them and the coop/run regulaly with DE. No mites. I'm more concerned as my rooster is showing signs of loosing feathers as well. He has just lost a small patch under his waddle and on his butt as well. Weird.

7. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Ok, if you have ruled out mites and you don't think they are molting.....that leaves feather eating. Try to up their protein, spray bottoms with blu-kot and see if that helps........I do have to add, that all my girls are beginning to molt. Some are slow molters and some are molting fast. One of my SLWs is looking particularly straggley. Most of her tail feathers, her wing feathers and her butt are pretty thin.....not a pretty sight. Good luck!

8. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    molting

9. jmjoffrion

May 13, 2010
    Agua Dulce
    Thanks all...After viewing pictures and reading replies...I am going with the molting theory. Egg production has cut in half too....

10. Mahtowagal

Mahtowagal Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    I have a flock of 10 hens and one rooster. 7 white Cochins and 4 silver laced Cochins. My blacks all have bald butts around the vents. Not red, not swollen or chapped...just bald. Two worse then others. I am assuming molting. I have DE in their dirt bath. Coop is VERY clean. They are on hay.... and nest boxes are filled with nice hay. They seem fine. No change in personalities, no real scratching.. I do not see any feather biting. Normal spring molt? Just interesting it's only the black birds. They are 9 months old. Laying fine...7 a day or so. I feed Purina Layer Plus feed, and black oil sunflower seeds with a little cracked corn, outside....as well as a head of romaine every other day or so. They have apple cider vinegar in their water... little over a tablespoon per gallon.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by