Bald Chick

acceblufreehc

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 8, 2013
Texas
I am new to raising chickens & I completed a hatch 2 weeks ago today & one of my resulting chicks (a tiny jungle fowl) had a bald spot when it hatched. The bald spot was smaller than a pencil eraser. My problem is that the bald spot keeps growing. It is never bloody so I don't think it is being pecked but I am concerned for this chick (the tiniest of the chicks). Could anyone tell me the possible cause & what to do? This picture was taken today.

Thank you for the link, mg15. I found the black bald chicken you were talking about. My chick doesn't have nodules or bumbs but I will be doing more research on Avian Pox. These chicks haven't been exposed to any other chickens and we wash our hands before handling them. I'm bewildered.

I should probably also note that this little chick acts as if nothing is wrong. He isn't lethargic, eats & drinks water regularly & even began perching recently. Today I am going to separate her & my silkie out from the other four chicks to eliminate the possible stress/pecking factors. The other four are much bigger & rambunctious.

Last edited:
Yes, sounds like the little girl is getting picked on, literally.
At the time Dottie a Japaneses Bantam and so very very small, the others would just run over her like in a stampede and somebody falls on the ground and everyone just keeps running over them. That's what happened to Dottie. So I removed her from them and gave her special care. She is fine.

Back
Top Bottom