1. acceblufreehc

acceblufreehc New Egg

Jul 8, 2013
    Texas
    I am new to raising chickens & I completed a hatch 2 weeks ago today & one of my resulting chicks (a tiny jungle fowl) had a bald spot when it hatched. The bald spot was smaller than a pencil eraser. My problem is that the bald spot keeps growing. It is never bloody so I don't think it is being pecked but I am concerned for this chick (the tiniest of the chicks). Could anyone tell me the possible cause & what to do? This picture was taken today. [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
  4. acceblufreehc

acceblufreehc New Egg

Jul 8, 2013
    Texas
    Thank you for the link, mg15. I found the black bald chicken you were talking about. My chick doesn't have nodules or bumbs but I will be doing more research on Avian Pox. These chicks haven't been exposed to any other chickens and we wash our hands before handling them. I'm bewildered.

5. acceblufreehc

acceblufreehc New Egg

Jul 8, 2013
    Texas
    I should probably also note that this little chick acts as if nothing is wrong. He isn't lethargic, eats & drinks water regularly & even began perching recently. Today I am going to separate her & my silkie out from the other four chicks to eliminate the possible stress/pecking factors. The other four are much bigger & rambunctious.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  6. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Yes, sounds like the little girl is getting picked on, literally.
    At the time Dottie a Japaneses Bantam and so very very small, the others would just run over her like in a stampede and somebody falls on the ground and everyone just keeps running over them. That's what happened to Dottie. So I removed her from them and gave her special care. She is fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by