Bald chicken butt

I had a friend who had a rooster and his hens pecked off the rooster butt feathers, I think because they were flirting with him. I borrowed the rooster, and the first things my hens did was peck his naked butt to flirt also, the rooster said..."OW!"

get them some lettuce greens...
Our Sliver laced Wyandotte's are also losing feathers under their bottoms. Our concern is bullying. But your suggestion made me wonder if they are needing more greens. I had been giving them lettuce and cabbage during the week in the evenings. However, not on a regular basis. Help me understand why lettuce greens would help with others pecking their feathers out...if this is indeed what is happening. Thanks!

If it is bullying, you could offer more fun things to pick at. Or add little things to your run to keep their mind busy. I take plastic tubs and place leaves and random things for them to kick around keeps them from being bored. If it is mites Premethrin works amazing. I use it on the chicken and in the coop.

Update for all! I put a camera in at night, All the chickens on the bottom perch were pecking at the ones at the top at night! Winter time in New England I have a light on to keep them laying longer, looks like ill be turning that off to keep them from pecking at the top perch! I also was proactive and treated for mites as well

Update for all! I put a camera in at night, All the chickens on the bottom perch were pecking at the ones at the top at night! Winter time in New England I have a light on to keep them laying longer, looks like ill be turning that off to keep them from pecking at the top perch! I also was proactive and treated for mites as well
I think we may adjust our light timer as well...we've got a bad picking problem and never thought about the light playing a part. I appreciate the update.

Back
Top Bottom