bald chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kareninthesun, Sep 19, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Hatched out mid July. All the younger ones are succcessfully roosting with those hatched in june. however, the older girls are pritective of their priveledged places closest to the ramp. sometimes they wont let them in unless i intervene. one if the bigger black chicks must have tested this either last night or tried to beat them down the ramp. her poor head is bare. no redness or open wounds. im SPECULATING this is why. havent seen any aggressive behaviours. none show any signs of being roosters. this particular youngster is usually the one to challenge lines drawn in pecking order. i noticed when guving them treats a little while ago that she is giving her ilder sisters a little more room.

should i just keep an eye on her head or apply something like bluecote now? should i make sure to get her upstairs to roost myself or let her work it out? the younger ones still sleep on one side of the coop on their own.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would go ahead with the blukote so they won't be drawn to peck the wound. You may have to do more to manage the pecking order; usually you can let them work it out, but when blood is drawn, it may be necessary to intervene.

3. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    thank you Judy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by