bald chickens feathers not growing back

unclejohn

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 4, 2014
so this spring i bought ten hens and a rooster off of a farmer. the chickens were bald in the butt and some all the way up the back. also the backs of their heads. the guy told me that it was just from being cooped up all winter. but now i've had them about three months and they're still bald. some have grown feathers though, most actually have at least some growth. a few have had a good amount of new feathers grow in, all soft down feather. one or two though are still quite bald and one in particular is more bald now than before. the rooster as well has no tail what so ever. though his down feathers have grown in too. but other than the soft down feathers that have grown in there is no tail feather growth at all. a few times i saw some that seemed to be coming in but then later they looked like they may have been pecked out. their butts are also red. the one that is more bald now than before has a very red bum all the time.

whats going on?? I also have 19 chicks that are about two and a half months old and they are all fine. all in the same coop for the past two or three weeks at least. theyre all feathered and fine and the roosters are starting to get their big tails and what not.

egg production in the featherless hens is also great. from ten hens i usually get at least seven eggs a day.

Well my hens are being mated with.When they mate the rooster grabs them by the feathers on the neck and top of hat.He makes the hens featherless if he does this he's gonna make them featherless.I would split them.Some of my hens are COMPLETELY bald.I would also need to see some pictures.You may wanna make sure nobodies fighting.Rooster grab heads,not butts.Are they performing any blood?Any feathers missing other places?They could also be molting.Are they laying?Is it on top where these bald spots are?What breeds do you have?Certain breeds are bossy and often fight extremely to the max.Like the BO(Buff orpington)I have 2 of these girls.One is constantly fighting the ELDERS like she's all that.The other is just bossing the hens lowest in the pecking order(Well lower then her.).Also the RIR(Rhode Island Red)is mean and bossy.I had two.They made blood!Well our very first flock did.They faught like crazy.BUT the RIR's leaded them and were ALWAYS bullying.Best flock though!Please let me know witch breeds you have!

They are laying just fine. They were bald on the backs of their heads but that has mostly grown back now. they are bald up the back and down below the butt as well. no blood but one chicken in particular is very read all in the butt area

Any indication of vent gleet,any runny whitish discharge? Feathers may not grow back until after yearly molt. Feather picking can have many causes,boredom,overcrowding,deficiencies,parasites(lice/mites)and over mating. Up their protein intake.

Back
Top Bottom