BALD CHICKS! I have a guess as to what happened but...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EggsForIHOP, May 15, 2010.

1. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Someone please tell me they have had this happen before...as I think this week I have had it!

We agreed to house 15 chicks for my ESH (read Extra Stupid Husband) friend (his wife, who is smarter then me told him no - I should have said no, but I have a soft heart). They were supposed to come the week of the 24th - they showed up however Tuesday morning...no big deal...my coop is unfinished...my brooder is full...but we can make this work...

So into the makeshift brooder they go. ESF (Extra Stupid Friend) says he will help ESH finish coop this weekend...it is now pouring rain...and no progress was made this week...stress all the way home tonight...

Come home to find ESF and ESH have CHANGED the feeder in the new babies!!! Now they have one of the long narrow ones, not the round jar style job I had ...OH NO...my set up, which worked great for our 11 chicks was not good enough for ESF...no big deal except now the chicks are all about HALF BALD!!!

Problem being this...they somewhat fit through the holes, the plastic is rigid, and the feathers on their little bellies all seem to be rubbed off! Especially the chicks that didn't fit in the holes (a couple of the black ones were in the feeder! stuck, not stuck, idk, they weren't talking when I asked). PLUS one had a pasty butt and these 2 fools were both sitting there clueless! Oh, and did I mention the 5 little bonus 'packing peanuts'? So I have gone from 11 to 31 chicks!

Please tell me someone else has had this happen and it's not some strange new bird flu - please tell me someone else has a few bald little birds. It looks like a poor pluck job! All the men folk could say was "But they looked so cute going in and out of the feeder" Really? REALLY? No wonder I don't want human babies...I could see it now..."but mister CPS worker...the kids just looked so cute..."

Honestly though...how long until they get belly feathers again? This is awful!

Oh - and the kicker ....I have a mysterious charge pulling on my bank card...guess what I think it may be for....I will move ESH into the coop and the chicks into this house if my suspicions are right!

2. angelique_redhead

angelique_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    DFW, Texas
    *HUGS* You have my sympathy. The feathers should grow back fairly quickly. I would have several suggestions but this is a family forum. [​IMG]: Angelique

3. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Thank you! I really hope they aren't permanently bald - with my luck that would be the case though! I too have several ideas for punishment...only thing I can publish online is the threat to exile someone to the coop tho...

4. angelique_redhead

angelique_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    DFW, Texas
    They really should grow back. I had one chicken that got his feathers torn out by another so badly I was wondering but they're back and he looks great. I'd definitely go back to the other feeder though. Well, another one you can publish online is banishment to the couch. [​IMG] *HUGS* [​IMG]: Angelique

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by