Bald Crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brooky, Nov 18, 2011.

1. brooky

brooky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Hi folks. I've searched but I can't find anything suitable. One of our chickens has a bald crop. Its been like it all over the summer and now it is late November I kinda thought it would grow back. It's going to be really cold soon and I don't think it's ideal. What should I do? We have three hens all different colours and I have noticed feathers the same colour of the bird with the bald crop. I wonder if she is plucking them out?

What should I do?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  2. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    T o keep her chest warm, and If she is plucking herself, you could get her a 'birdie bra'. It would stop her having access to the area and help break the habit.

Could she be having some discomfort that could cause her to peck at it? Hopefully someone else knows more

3. brooky

brooky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Hmm maybe.. we did have red mite some weeks ago but we discovered it by accident and there didn't seem to be many. Treated them and no signs now. However she has been bald there ever since the spring. I thought it was because she ran up against the side of the run pulling them out. Silly birds! LOL

Birdie Bra... I think I have to buy one regardless if she needs or or not!

4. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    you could even try making your own out of fleece so it'll be warmer for her in the winter!

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

You could probably take a newborns or a little older size stretchy tee shirt or fleece, cut the arms off and stick her head through the collar, then each wing through the arm holes....... just make sure the shirt is short enough for her she doesn't step on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by