bald eagle attack with good ending

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ajplmama, Nov 17, 2009.

1. ajplmama

ajplmama Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2008
    Nova Scotia
    I haven't posted here in a while but I thought I'd share this story.

Getting close to dusk one evening a bald eagle came into the barn yard and grabbed one of our muscovies. The eagle tried to take off and I think was surprised by the weight and settled back down to get a better grip. One of our dogs attacked the eagle and it let go of the duck. After a struggle the eagle flew off wounded. The dog had some pretty deep scratches on her chest.

The duck was unable to use one leg for about a week and my husband carried him around to be with the other ducks and brought him food and water. I wasn;t able to find an abvious broken bone. Eventually he started hobbling around and now you can;t tell him from the other ducks! the dog is fine too. We're not so sure about the eagle but we know he's not been coming around our barn yard since.

2. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Yea!!! Glad for the happy ending. I'll have to remember your story. We have Golden Eagles around here but I haven't seen one in our neighborhood for over a year. You never know when one may decide to move on into our area though and our Scovies free range. Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

3. ajplmama

ajplmama Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2008
    Nova Scotia
    The chickens all run for cover whenever a bird of prey flies overhead. For whatever reason the ducks don't. They're easy pickings.

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:That is why you need some geese, very good sky watchers and their size is enough to make most birds of prey think twice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by