Bald Eagle attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tribeofbenjaminfarm, Jan 17, 2011.

1. tribeofbenjaminfarm

tribeofbenjaminfarm New Egg

Aug 31, 2010
    NW WA State
    An immature bald eagle attacked my flock and all made it free and clear except for Abby our flocks matriarch. She lost the majority of her tail feathers but no beak or talon wounds are visible. After 2 days her skin in the area of the lost feathers has turned pinkish/red. If there are no wounds should I worry about infection? Also will the feathers grow back and how long could that take? She seems to be acting like her old self, running and flying etc.. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ---benjamin---><>

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    If you don't see any marks, scratches, etc., she will probably be good to go without any treatment.
    Just watch the area to be sure it doesn't start to look infected and to make sure the other birds don't start picking on her bare spots.
    She'll get her feathers back, but it will probably take a bit. Feed her some protein(cat food) to help promote the feather growth.
    She's a tough one, isn't she?

3. tribeofbenjaminfarm

Aug 31, 2010
    NW WA State
    Good advice, Thank you. And yes she is a tough old bird to survive a bald eagle. I am thankful my 9 year old daughter ran out and scared the eagle away when she did!![​IMG]

4. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    I think the eagle would have scared me away. Your daughter is very brave and dedicated to your chickens!!!

5. tribeofbenjaminfarm

Aug 31, 2010
    NW WA State
    Ya, she is a great little farm hand!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by