Bald Eagle in the area.

natyvidal

Songster
5 Years
Mar 1, 2018
Dade City, Florida
My neighbors have sighted a bald eagle and have lost already several of their chickens to him.
They free range as well as Mine do. But, today I decided to keep my flock cooped up in the run until I am better informed about Chaldean eagles.
I have a varied flock that includes turkeys and African geese. These are big heavy adults! Can I let them free range? Or do you think the bald eagle can lift one of them. These are 20 lbs birds.

Thank you.

My neighbors have sighted a bald eagle and have lost already several of their chickens to him.
They free range as well as Mine do. But, today I decided to keep my flock cooped up in the run until I am better informed about Chaldean eagles.
I have a varied flock that includes turkeys and African geese. These are big heavy adults! Can I let them free range? Or do you think the bald eagle can lift one of them. These are 20 lbs birds.

Thank you.
I've seen videos of eagles picking up goats, so yeah they could pick up a goose. But same as with hawks, provide lots of cover if you want them to free range during the day.

I would contain your birds. I have had bald eagles here among other predators. My land is mostly open pasture. I don't free range anymore due to losses from predators in the past. My birds have nice large pens. My pens are covered, I have concrete under the gates and electric wires around my coops and pens, all due to losses in the past. Sad to say but when you free range you will loose birds sooner or later. It's a risk you take. Lessons learned the hard way. Good luck...

Yesterday I saw a pair of Bald eagles sitting in the top of the tree..thankfully they are 8 miles away from me. :oops:
Hard enough to worry about raccoons and hawks and dogs.....

Back
Top Bottom