Bald eagle tried to eat one of my hens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hallerlake, Aug 10, 2010.

1. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    This morning the crows were making a lot of noise in the backyard. It sounded like the Hitchcock movie. I went out to see what was going on, and there was a bald eagle with Roz in his claws! I ran at it, and it dropped her. She ran behind the woodpile. I've got her inside now. I poured iodine solution on her back. I came out before the eagle had time to do more than pull out her back feathers. I will never grudge the crows the chicken feed they steal again. She's alert, eating, and pooping. I think she'll be okay. I have to figure out where to get that no peck stuff, so I can put her back out in a few days. It may not be easy since I live in the city. Yes, we have eagles in the city of Seattle. No more free ranging without supervision I guess.

2. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I assume you're talking about Blue-Kote when you say no peck stuff. I'd guess any feed store or vet store that has equestrian supplies would have it. I've bought it at the grain mill where I get chicken feed. I've also seen it at TSC.

3. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    You could also use Neosporin in the meantime. I'll bet you have that in your medicine cabinet!

Remember may also be in shock. If you don't keep bird vitamin mixes on hand, you can mix half water/half Gatorade and offer her moistened food until she is back out with the others. My avian vet recommends the diluted Gatorade . . .

Good save on your bird. Whew!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  4. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Goodness, what a crazy story! Your hen was very lucky that you were on guard!

I would second the others that posted, neosporin will work to help her on the healing process, but you're going to put her back out before she's fully healed, you'll want to get some bluekote so the others don't peck her wound.

Good luck with your girl!

5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW... good thing the crows were on guard!

6. hallerlake

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:You mean everyone doesn't chase bald eagles across the yard in their jammies and robe? I'm glad I'd slipped on some shoes.

7. hallerlake

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    mmaddie's mom :

WOW... good thing the crows were on guard!

I would not have gone outside if the crows hadn't been making all that racket. I'm pretty sure we have a crow's nest on or near our property.​

8. hallerlake

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:How long will she be happy by herself in the wine closet (It came with the house. It has a glass door, a light, climate control, and a tile floor. It's about time we found a use for it)?

I was worried about trying to apply neosporin. I was afraid dabbing at the wound would hurt. Pouring on an iodine solution seemed easier. The pharmacist said it would work. I probably had the weirdest questions he's had all week. It turns out he used to have chickens.

9. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    WOW that must have been a very young Eagle inexperienced in hunting or those crows may have had it really distracted before it could finish your girl...either way, that is one VERY lucky chicken! Glad you were there to save her!

10. johny

johny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    We have loads of eagle in Nothwest Ontario.
    I've seen them kill big ducks on the water.
    My cats run for cover when one is overhead.

If your chicken survives the attack, you are really lucky. The potential that the eagles claws caused slow but serious internal bleeding in very real.
    Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by