Bald Eagles?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Laura78, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Laura78

Laura78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Snohomish County, WA
    Anyone know if a Bald Eagle will attack a chicken? We have lots of them around here and I know by federal law we can't hurt them, so my next option is to deture them if they're a possible threat. I'm really hoping that chickens aren't on their menu cause I love seeing them. We do have a river about 1/4 mile (if that) and that's why I think we have so many of them near us.

2. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    A bald eagle definitly would attack a chicken. Sorry to say because they are fun to watch. An eagle will attack just about anything a hawk will.

3. Laura78

Feb 24, 2009
    Snohomish County, WA
    That's what I thought, but I was still hoping to hear otherwise. Hopefully they'll just go after the salmon and leave my birds alone.

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Hang up some flash tape or old CD's to confuse the eagles. They will be less likely to bother your birds if you have places for them to hide easily

5. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    They prefer fish but will take a bird too. When I lived on Whidbey Island years ago I used to love watching them hunt. Watched one take a seagull on a lake one day while I was fishing.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  6. selinagil

selinagil Chillin' With My Peeps

Holy Moly------I think I'd be so glad just to see a Live, Free Bald Eagle that I wouldn't even be able to comprehend....predator---hide the chicks!!! I'd just be in awe! [​IMG]

7. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    We have lots of them around here during the winter. They will take a bird but knock on wood they have never taken one of mine. I saw them all the time in the field just on the other side of the fence taking rabbits and at the river 1/4 mile away taking fish and ducks. I worried they would take one of mine when they were out free-ranging but they didn't. I think maybe they didn't like it that I also had big dogs and horses around.

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Laura78,
    As stated before eagles will take chickens, cats, and small dogs. a couple years ago I had one sit in a neighbors tree facing my yard. It didn't come down though and after about 10 minutes, the crows drove it off. For years I though I had a hawk flying over the house during hot summer days, but now think it was this eagle just immature. Has never taken a chicken, and I free range daily all day unsupervised. I'm thinking that I have lots of cover for the chickens-deck, coop, large trees, shrubs etc. Good Luck and be vigilant.
    So I guess a suggestion would be to provide cover. And
    Hatch some crows (kidding about the crows)

Imp- And we both know there are NO hot summer days in western Washington.

9. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    we just had this conversation last night. we have bald eagles go over here. i said, i wouldn't be sad if i got to witness a eagle take one of my chickens because it would be a wonderful amazing event. don't get me wrong, afterwards i would be sadden for the loss. but the event would be amazing.

10. Laura78

Feb 24, 2009
    Snohomish County, WA
    Quote:They are beautiful. I see about 7 of them, one is a family of mom, dad, and 2 older chicks, just about everyday that I drive to town. And that's just what's living near the hwy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by