Bald eagles

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cupman, Jun 17, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Are bald eagles a threat? I have not began to let my chickens free range but I was considering it. We have a lot of bald eagles around here is the issue. I'm thinking shooting one is almost guaranteed jail time and jail doesn't sound like any fun. If they are a threat is there much I can really do?

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Any larger raptor is a threat. How much of a threat depends on many things including how easy it is to get food and what the food is. Bald eagles are mainly scavengers but they do go after live food. If you do decide to let your chickens range make sure they have places to hide.

3. ninabl

ninabl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    franklin ky
    yeah... i probally wouldnt shoot one of those. i think you would get less jail time for shooting at the president.

4. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    Quote:[​IMG]

In Canada...
    According to B.C.'s Wildlife Act, no one can possess a dead eagle or eagle parts unless authorized by officials. The penalty for poaching is a fine up to $50,000 or six months in jail; the penalty for trafficking is a fine of up to $100,000 and/or jail for a year.

In the US, this is the federal penalty. An offender is also subject to state penalties, depending on where they live.
    The 1972 amendments increased civil penalties for violating provisions of the Act to a maximum fine of $5,000 or one year imprisonment with $10,000 or not more than two years in prison for a second conviction.

Bald Eagles are really big. I would imagine that if they are unable to easily find their normal prey, they could easily take down a chicken.

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    They are definately a threat. They can carry an adult rooster away in seconds. I've had it happen twice.

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Yes they are a threat. They are a very strong raptor. I just read a news article where a bald eagle dropped its prey on a powerline and caused a power outage in Montana...the prey was a deer fawn...so ummmm yeah your chickens would be an easily meal.

7. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

If they can take down and kill a small adult deer or steal a tourist's dog that on a leash, they will swoop a chicken in a heartbeat! An alert rooster and some overhead cover will help prevent the problem.

8. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Dang. I've noticed an explosion in their numbers around here, it used to be fairly rare to see one and now it's every few days. Guess I'll have to construct some kind of aviary or something to give my girls more space to explore. Thanks for the tips.

9. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    dido the good rooster, they do a good job at warning the hens to take cover. make sure there are lots of places for them to hide. we have eagles and hawks on occasion but not a lot.good luck

10. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Aviary netting attached to posts set into the ground will allow the hens to free range, gice them cover and allow you to keep your yard without feeling like you have to fence in more area and confining them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by