bald head chicken help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chloe Cecale, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Chloe Cecale

Chloe Cecale Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2014
    my chicken has a bald head, she is a sicilian buttercup shes supper sweet and really little compared to our other chickens, at 1st we thought it was just pecking order than it started to look very serous. any suggestions??

please help.........

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Sometimes scaly leg mites get in head and the feathers will come out. Just in case you can oil the spot to kill any that may be there. Do you have a rooster? Is it possible that the feathers were pulled out?

3. Chloe Cecale

Feb 10, 2014
    thank you sooooooooooooo much i will for sure do this. what kind of oil??? any??? and we got rid of our rooster about a month and a half ago.

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Use vaseline....rub well into the comb and head area, apply every few days...check their feet for raised leg scales...a sure sign of leg mites..if any have raised leg scales..wash with a povidone/betadine solution in warm water for 10-15 minutes...you can gently rub under the scales to rid the area of any debris left by the mites and apply a liberal amount of vaseline...massage in an upwards direction...up to where the feathers start on their legs..re apply every two to three days...can last for a few weeks....

5. Chloe Cecale

Feb 10, 2014
    ok thank you soooo much i will try that too!!!! have you had this problem and is that what i do when there back is bald we have a lot of un know chicken problems that seem to be hurting our chicken

so i really appreciate the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by