Bald-headed Polish Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mistyray_lynn, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Mistyray_lynn

Mistyray_lynn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    I posted this in Chicken Behaviours and Egg Laying, but I'm not sure that's the right place. So I'm re-posting here.

I have a small flock of chickens about 10 months old. I got the hens together as chicks, there are 6. Then someone I knew couldn't keep the Polish Roo and I took him in. When he showed up he had a huge bald spot with just a ring of feathers. Apparently, his former flock-mates would not let his head feathers grow in without plucking them out.

I'm having the same problem. And with winter confinement the hens are tormenting him more. I was very excited that after keeping a blue salve on his head small feathers had filled in nicely. They were about a 1/4 inch long yesterday. This morning I was dismayed to find every single shaft plucked out and his head bloody again.

Any thoughts on what I can do for the poor guy?

TIA

2. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Cain pepper on the feathers/skin? Though that would get in the eyes...
    Well try and find something yucky to put on them and deter the feather pulling?

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  4. Mistyray_lynn

Jan 16, 2011
    Because the damage seems to mostly happen early in the morning... can I separate him out at night for a few days? Maybe a kennel inside the coop or something? The salve I have was working but we need to do it daily; I was away and dh forgot. But I believe it was still working. Any guess at all on how long the feathers would need to be before the girls leave them alone?

5. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I'd separate him. At least give him a chance to grow the feathers in and try again.

6. Mistyray_lynn

Jan 16, 2011

So, because I'm due any day to have a baby..... any idea how long I might need to separate him?

7. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Oh dear that does sound like a potential problem...
    Is there anyone who can assist you with him? Because I think he would need at least a few weeks.

8. Mistyray_lynn

Jan 16, 2011
    Really? Sigh... I was hoping maybe only two weeks at most. Good to have a better idea. Hmmm... Well, dh is willing to help. He's the one who was doing the salve for me. He just only thinks of it when I ask him. I'm thinking that as long as the birds are out they don't seem to bother him. And again the salve seemed to be working. I think it's just the early morning hours. On Monday, I will peak in the feed store and see what other salve might be available. The one that I have doesn't stay on for more than half a day.

9. Chic_girl

Chic_girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    Near Columbus OH
    I don't have any true advice, because nothing has worked for my flock, but I'll keep an eye on this thread for everyone's advice!

I am having the same problem with my poor Polish Roo as well- The last time he had a full head of feathers was... well... around July?? Poor guy's blood feathers keep getting eaten or plucked. The culprits are my Brahma hens and rooster, because sometimes I see blood on their beaks after the polish's head becomes bare again...

10. farm-a-zootical

farm-a-zootical Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    After months of trying everything, I resorted to pinless peepers for the offenders. The bald-butts seem to be finally regrowing feathers. I think they have to be ordered, however, & takes two do it with no issue. Easy to apply, make them pliable in very hot water, spread them open & attach to the nostrils. My girls were getting vicious. I'll remove them in a few months to see if they've grown out of their nasty habit. You can get them several places. I actually got mine for free as a trial. If you talk to people & explain your predictament, they'll often be eager to help you find a solution. But, if they work, you don't have to spend precious time trying all other options. I wasted weeks & weeks trying to get at the root of the problem. Saved them from being re-homed to maybe someone with no patience with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by