Bald hens....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by conniesue27, Jan 30, 2011.

1. conniesue27

conniesue27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    atwater ohio
    A couple of my hens are losing the feathers on the backs of there heads. Is this caused by the rooster when he's mounting them? It seems to be his favorite hens that have this problem.

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Yup its the rooster!

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I would say yes, it's the rooster.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Sometimes they are very mean or they just don't know what to do, or as I call it chicken raped, I get rid of roosters that do that.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yup. I have a hen right now who is in a separate pen until her back heals and her feathers grow back. Several of the roosters were targeting her and that didn't set well with me. [​IMG] Since then, I have cut way back on the number of roosters. I only have 15 roosters to my 135 hens. It's working better now.

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I found the ones that get it the worst are the girls that are not so ready to be mounted (I am having a total spell fart day and can't figure out how to spell and google can't figure out what I'm trying to spell) Usually I do the opposite and remove rooster but it's easier for me I never have a lot of roosters at one time, not that big a fan of roosters.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Some roos do their mating in a gentlemanly way and others do not. They're supposed to grab the neck feathers, but they're not supposed to pull them out.

The world is full of good roos. The others don't last long around here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by