Bald legs and butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrdruids, Jul 28, 2011.

1. mrdruids

mrdruids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    my chicken isn't sick but this seems like the place for this post. one of my bantam brahmas lost most of her feathers on her legs and butt, nowhere else. this happened some months back. i read that molting starts on the head so i dont think thats it. besides none of my other chickens have lost a bunch of feathers like this. they dust plenty and we use the dusting powder from time to time so im wondering what it could be. can stress have anything to do with it? shes very spoiled but shes a real drama queen [​IMG] and will she have to wait till she molts to grow them back? ive only been a chicken owner for 10 months.

it is kind of cute and funny though, its kinda like you can see up her skirt, and when shes bug hunting she sticks her bare booty in the air [​IMG]

2. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Have you checked her over real good for lice/mites? You will see white clusters at the base of the feathers and/or lots of tiny bugs running around, and an infestation could be the cause of her feather loss.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  3. mrdruids

mrdruids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    ill check her out in the mornin thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by