Bald neck help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RingneckParrot, Jan 10, 2014.

1. RingneckParrot

RingneckParrot Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    Sydney, NSW
    Hello, I have a silver laced wyandotte with a bald neck. She has had the bald patch for a few months now, and everytime we seperate her into a spare coop, she crows. (no, she is not a rooster!) It started out when she was broody, took up the nest and was pecked by the others as she would not budge. Eventually, she had a bald head, before it spread down her neck. I do not want it to get any bigger as she is a beautiful bird, and I don't want sores to start appearing amongst the baldness from excessive pecking.
    I have already tried putting a little bantam down with her in the spare coop, but she still crows. The spare coop is near the main one, but they cannot see each other. The coop is also heavy to move.
    Please help as I do not know what to do.
    Thank you! :)

2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    I would just deal with the crowing until she grows the feathers back. I would put the bantam in with her. That was a smart idea. In the long run, it will help her out more to have her feathers back. I would wait until her feathers are fairly long to put her back in with the others as chickens have a thing for pecking pinfeathers. I hope this helps!!!

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    X2.i agree with above post.

4. RingneckParrot

Oct 8, 2012
    Sydney, NSW
    Ah, thanks for your help :) Yes, I think we will have to pop her back into the spare coop, before any more damage is done. I do not have much of a problem with the crowing its just that my neighbors probably will. We have spoken with them about it and they said they can hear it of a morning. It doesnt wake me up, and I doubt it will do much to the neighbors, it will just become a problem if someone hears it and reports it if they think its a crowing rooster. (we live in a suburban area, and the council does not allow roosters)
    Just a quick thought though, if I put some vaseline on the bald patch, will that deter the hens from pecking that area?
    Thanks again, :)

5. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    I'm not positive about this, but I believe I've heard its good to put Vaseline on. Another thing you can put on so the hens won't peck it is the stuff you put on trees right after you prune them.

6. RingneckParrot

Oct 8, 2012
    Sydney, NSW
    Thank you for this, and sorry for the late reply. Well, 'Gretel' has fully recovered from her baldness, regrown almost every feather, and is now trying to boss every hen in the coop. :| Lol. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by