Bald parts on my hens??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by maldoncrazylady, Aug 27, 2014.

1. maldoncrazylady

maldoncrazylady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    I have 6 hens in a large coop 3 light sussex 3 cream leg bars they all recently had a lice infestation which after weeks of constant spraying, cleaning and powdering has now been cleared. Now I have a new problem, over the last few weeks I've noticed bald patches on my girls, under their chins, down the front of their necks, around the vent area and above their legs/under the wings?? I have watched them and haven't noticed any pecking or pulling out of feathers from anyone bird, so assume it happens whilst in the coop at night/early hours. They look very strange and scruffy the Leg bars are the worst off, no soreness or blood as yet but its not right. Any suggestions or advice please because Im puzzled???!![​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Could it be your birds are molting that can make them look very scruffy. I have a light Sussex at the moment that has just started a molt. She has just started loosing some feathers around her neck.

3. chickencreek

chickencreek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    Can you post pictures of the bald spots

4. maldoncrazylady

Jul 1, 2011
    Hi its not a molting problem its definitley a pecking problem and I have re checked for lice, none to be found, one of my hens neck is now completely plucked at the front looks funny really, but its not good, so I sat and watched all evening whilst they were settling down and preaning, and I caught the naughty two girls!! Well elvis as shes known, sat there and plucked the feathers from annies neck and ate them with relish, annie just sat there and let her, then anni promptly got up and headed for another hen whose got a bald bum, and started plucking feathers from her backside and ate them too!! I had sprayed the hens with an antiseptic coloured spray to cover the pink/red/bare skin in the hope of it putting off the plucking but to no avail! I now have 6 hens all in various states of baldness with purple stripes on them looking like punk rockers!! I think the only solution is for me to remove the two culprits and see if peace returns to my coop and I hope that the purple stains eventually wear off my once beautiful hens!! Living in hope now lol!! [​IMG]

5. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds like it could be a protein deficiency problem. What are you feeding them? Do they free range and if so, for how long? Do they have supplemental feed available if they're free range? You might try feeding them higher protein feed for a while and see if that alleviates it.

6. maldoncrazylady

Jul 1, 2011
    Yep they have good food, supplements, spices you name it they get it and they free range! Have taken main culprit hen away now waiting to see how things go!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by