bald patch advice wanted

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joegwendolyn, Apr 13, 2009.

1. joegwendolyn

joegwendolyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    i have just noticed that one of my 3 baby chicks has got a bald spot on the back of its neck, it also looks a bit dry and feels like there is a bit of a lump to it, was wondering if it could have been pecked or if it could be something else anyone had anything like this before please give me some advice thanks

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Were they vaccinated at the hatchery?

3. joegwendolyn

Mar 26, 2009
    not sure he didnt say anything about them been vaccinated why could that be it

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I could be way off base here, but some chicks are vaccinated at the hatcheries and some of the vaccines are given in the back of the neck. It's an assembly line sort of thing. They grab a chick and hold them under a machine that shots the vaccine into the neck area. I thought perhaps it could be a reaction to the vaccine. Have you seen the other chicks pecking at the spot?
    For best responses on this sort of thing you might try posting your question in the emergencies & illnesses section. Good luck to you.

5. joegwendolyn

Mar 26, 2009
    thank you, I am not sure if it will be that because he is just a small time breeder he dosent have a big place just a small chicken farm, i will try on the other site you suggested though thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by