Bald polish chicken- missing head feathers??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1 Critter Camp, Feb 6, 2014.

1. 1 Critter Camp

1 Critter Camp Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Kentuckky
    I have two black polish chickens with white head feathers. They are living with silkies and have been getting a long fine from what I can tell. They all nest together and roam the yard together when I can let them out.
    There is one silkie rooster that is the head chicken and although smaller, the polish chickens, hen and roo, get chased away sometimes.

I have been noticing that the top part of the polish chickens head, the male, the feathers were getting thinner and thinner. Today, the top of his head is totally bald.. you can see the shafts of the feathers are in the skin but it is almost bald in the center.

Today I worked on building a new pen for him and her thinking that the silkies are pulling his feathers out. I won't be able to finish the pen until this weekend.

It is below 32 degrees here in KY and I do not suspect parasites.

Any information or ideas??

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Just get a bottle of BluKote spray, and spray his bald spot every 2-3 days. They should stop picking out the feathers, but make sure they have 16-20% protein in their feed, plenty of room, and something to do for boredom.

3. FarmGirlForLife

FarmGirlForLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    And once you spray blukote continue to monitor. I've had polishes get pecked even when they've had blukote on their head because they are the low birds in the pecking order. Protein helps the feathers grow back, if you have a dog or cat you can give the chicken some of their food for extra protein. The good thing is that the feathers grow back reasonably quick. Good luck to you.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Very true. I have had 2 polish chickens in a very large mixed flock, and both hens have had their head feathers pulled completely out at least twice each in 3 years. Fortunately they will grow back in in 3-4 weeks.

5. 1 Critter Camp

Aug 26, 2013
    Kentuckky
    Thank you, I bought some Blu-kote tonight at TSC. I plan on finishing the cage tomorrow and using the medicated spray and remove them. I appreciate the help.
    If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll take a picture of the poor guy!!

6. 1 Critter Camp

Aug 26, 2013
    Kentuckky
    Here's the poor guy! I plan on getting him into his new cage with his mate tomorrow. Then he will heal faster!
    [​IMG]

7. FarmGirlForLife

FarmGirlForLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    He doesn't look as bad as one of my hens did after a bunch of my red stars found their way into the isolated pen I have for my fancy hens. He will be fine in no time

8. marneypoo

marneypoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Kentucky
    Any time I have a bird that is getting pecked like that, I put a little blob of Vick's vapor rub on the spot. The other birds will only try to peck once or twice, then stop. It tastes awful to them so they learn quick. Works every time. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by