Bald Spot on Chest

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RunnerChick4, Jan 31, 2015.

1. RunnerChick4

RunnerChick4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2014
    I have a leghorn/ameraucana pullet that has a bald spot on her chest. It looks like molting, but she is only 10 months old. (I heard hens usually have their first molt around 18 months.) We dusted her for mites as a precaution. However, I did not see any on her. I have not noticed her in the nesting boxes acting broody. I don't think she has laid an egg in a while. We feed our chickens Scratch and Peck layer feed, clean water, healthy scraps, and oyster shells are available.

What could be the cause of her feather loss?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Some broody hens will pull out their own feathers so that their eggs are against their skin.

3. RunnerChick4

RunnerChick4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2014
    That makes sense. However, she has not been acting broody otherwise: hangs out outside (not in the nesting boxes) scratching and pecking for bugs and greens all day with the rest of the flock.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I wouldn't know why else. But I've had a hen or two go broody but not sit in the nest. One just ran around making growling noises. I think some have the broody bred out of them, but sometimes you may find one that is kind of confused, LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by