Bald spot on ducklings head?

HennyPenny2

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
Summerville South Carolina
When I received my ducks my Buff Orpington had a small almost bald spot on her head, it wasn't smooth, looked like there was some fuzz there but you could clearly see it. That was Wednesday when I got them and today as they are getting big fast the spot seems to have gotten a little bigger unless it's just because she's getting bigger. I have a picture and I know it's not the best but I will try to get a closer up picture of it. Should I be concerned by this? There doesn't appear to be any injury to the skin that I can see. She acts like a very happy duck otherwise. Any thoughts as to what it could be? I am hoping when she starts feathering out it will grow feathers.

Keep an eye on it. Ducklings can have injuries, during hatching or handling, and there may be some congenital difference going on. Is the skin raised?

They grow so fast you can see it! So as she gets bigger the spot may also seem to enlarge....I think.

Keep an eye on it.  Ducklings can have injuries, during hatching or handling, and there may be some congenital difference going on.  Is the skin raised?

They grow so fast you can see it!  So as she gets bigger the spot may also seem to enlarge....I think.

I'm not sure if it's raised or not. Is it of concern? Can I do anything about it?

Well, I don't think we can know yet.

If it is an injury from hatching or other accident, the little one just may have a bald spot, that will likely get covered by feathers in a couple of months.

If it is something else, perhaps a feather cyst, that might need some attention.

It may be a crest but the feathers were yanked out and may grow back in. A crest grows over a spot where the skull did not form, so that's a tender spot for the duckling . . .

Well, I don't think we can know yet.

If it is an injury from hatching or other accident, the little one just may have a bald spot, that will likely get covered by feathers in a couple of months.  

If it is something else, perhaps a feather cyst, that might need some attention.

It may be a crest but the feathers were yanked out and may grow back in.  A crest grows over a spot where the skull did not form, so that's a tender spot for the duckling . . . 

Ok thanks so much! I will keep a very close eye on it. I love these two so much and being a first time duck mom I'm a little nervous.

Back
Top Bottom